Can frogs have warts?

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:53 pm
Can frogs have warts or is it just toads that are associated with them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:57 pm
I think the toads' association with warts is unfounded.
0 Replies

rystall79

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:09 pm
How about archetypally? Frogs? Or just toads?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:10 pm
I just tried to verify my understanding by looking online. Frogs and toads are often distinguished by the skin - smooth or bumpy, respectively. But, those bumps, though called warts, aren't warts I think. And, I think most agree that neither frogs nor toads cause warts to human skin when touched.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:15 am
Littlek is right. Toads have bumpy skins. Frogs have smooth skin. You might as well ask, "Do frogs ever have feathers?"

I know a variety of malformations and cancers have been found recently in frogs because of polluted and contaminated water. Frogs can have tumors.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:22 am
If they rub against too many princes it could happen...
0 Replies

rystall79

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
ok, forget all you know of this science... in fairytale land, are frogs associated with warts or just toads? Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
Toads have warts. Frogs have enchantments.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
Noddy wrote, "Do frogs ever have feathers?" Shocked

Fantastic flying frogs found!

Frogs -- already familiar with leaping -- may have to get used to flying. All it takes is a strong coil-shaped magnet and a frog that's in no position to say "No."

'Twas back in 1997 that a group of British, Dutch and Brazilian technologists put a frog inside the core of a strong magnet and switched it on. Then they stood back and gaped as the little acrobat hovered in mid-air.

Why can frogs float? Because while only a few materials like iron are magnetic (attracted by magnets) many are "diamagnetic." Diamagnetic materials are inherent contrarians: they produce a weak magnetic field that's opposite to the one surrounding them. This field, being opposite, opposes the stronger field and this pushing causes the levitation.

Diamagnetism also explains why pieces of a superconductor can "levitate"above magnets. Since frogs have much weaker diamagnetism, their flights require a much stronger magnet.

Moreover, the flying frog scurried back to its home in the biology lab, seemingly unharmed by the experience. Here's hoping the little amphib took some snapshots from on high (see Floating Frogs, Science News, 12/6/97, p. 362-3).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:30 pm
TryAgain--

The mind boggles.

At my age, my mind doesn't boggle easily, either.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:33 pm
Noddy, "The mind boggles."

I think you are getting your bog's confused with your Goo's. Don't boggle - Google :wink:

"At my age, my mind doesn't boggle easily, either."

Noddy 24 is but a bud in the flower of life. Hold your: That which is governed; territory over which authority is exercised; the tract, district, or county, considered as subject; as, the dominions of a king. Also used figuratively; as, the dominion of the passions. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
Tryagain--

Sweet words and sensible advice. You are a Renaissance Man.
0 Replies