city in the Saone Valley East central France centre of lower Burgundy region
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,589 • Replies: 22
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:04 pm
Are you looking for the name of this city?

dijon?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
Chalon-sur-Saône, Tournus, Mâcon, and Villefranche are some major towns/cities along the Saône - besides Lyon, where the S. joins the Rhône River.

(Dijon lies at the confluence of the Ouche and Suzon rivers.)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
Wakter -- I don't know, off-hand, which cities are on the Saone. I didn't have a map at hand. Was just guessing in order to stimulate some conversation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
It's okay, we had some nice talking! Laughing

(Don't ever think, I knew those towns by heart!!!)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:05 pm
Well, I was suspicious of the notation that Dijon is at the confluence of the Rhone and Suzon! I'm not unfamiliar with French geography: for many years, I had a map of southern France mounted on my wall in what I hoped would be a good luck charm. I thought if I looked at a place every day, that I would end up there. Didn't work.

Maybe, I should start a thread on the failure of the power of positive thinking.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
Hey what are you talking about?!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
I suppose, we just had had small talk - because we didn't know what to talk about.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:57 pm
next time, let me in!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:03 pm
Avec plaisir.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
Francis -- You're already here!
What ever happened to the moderator?

Let's talk about places in France we want to visit. I wish to visit the small southern French town of Uzes, not because it has all those rarely used letters in its name but because when I was in grad school, I was assigned a book written by a 9th C woman who lived in Uzes whose name was Dhoudha. She was married to a minor nobleman in the court of, possibly, Louis the Fat, successor of Charlemagne, and was left at Uzes to run the family estate while her husband dallied at court and their son William was a political hostage. her book for that son is the traditional, "Mirror for Princes," the most famous of which is that speech of Polonius' from Hamlet that includes the phrase, "Never a Borrower nor a lender be."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:23 am
Uzes is situated in that part of France, I don't know to well: the South and the Alps.

I'm rather sure that Louis the Pious was successor to Charlemagne, while Louis VI, a Capetian, was called "the Fat".

(But I can be dead wrong: I mix up the German kings frequently, not to talk about the French!)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:58 am
Uzès is in the south of France, near Nîmes (département 30).

if that woman lived in the 9th C, the book was probably about Louis I the pious, a carolingian, and not Louis the Fat, a capetian.

Walter, with his usual accuracy, pointed it well.

For more, take a look in this site :
Uzès
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
as for Dhoudha (Douda)

Maybe she was this woman :

Douda
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:05 pm
Speaking of all those bold, fat etc kings:

you've certainly been to the 'tombeaux' in St. Denis, I suppose: interesting that some of those deads [I know, no-one in there :wink:] are kind of German AND French kings.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
No, her name is spelled Dhoudha. May be wrong about the second H but not the first.

Uzes is an interesting town. Its inhabitants supported the Nazis is WWII. That is not a part that excites me but I do want to walk in Dhoudha's foot steps. Her book was written to and for her son William.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
http://www.nimausensis.com/personnages/Dhuoda.jpg

Quote:
Dhuoda
Source

Nice site (in French): LA PRINCESSE DHUODA en exil à Uzès en 840
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
That's her. There is some thought that there was a third child, a girl. Her husband dallied with the Empress Judith.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
I didn't know this history's story.

For the kings at St Denis, you aren't really surprised, are you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
No :wink:

But I really was surprised that such a nice place like the basilica could survive in such ... well, in such surroundings.
0 Replies