The Earth fate..

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
Hi, after the recent catastrophe of the earthquake that caused thousands of death, many opinions rose trying to give an explanation to that tsunami.One was that a friend of mine sent me a message that NASA said that this happened because all the planets started to rotate - cycle- in the reverse direction, and this will happen to the earth.I didn't ask him about his sources.Is this real ?!, our lovely planet will go round but in the opposite direction!.

Now, I'm not sure about the rotation thingy of the planets, but is it true that three of our planets do really rotate in the opposite way.Ok, then many stories started to appear like the Earth is slowing down and that what caused the crack!.

Then, I did some searching on the internet, and found these sites,

also,

http://www.crawford2000.co.uk/planetchange1.htm

I don't know what to believe, I know that I'm having a migraine.Oh God, am I being freak ?
Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 12
No top replies

navigator

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:49 am
Here is the home page,

http://www.crawford2000.co.uk/sitemap.htm
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:09 am
any thoughts would be welcomed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:15 am
navigator- On the net, there is a plethora of hype, hokum and bunk. I would suggest that if you are checking out scientific information, that you stick to the well known, credible, scientific sites!
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Hi Phoenix, but in this case how can we find the truth?!.Maybe the person above is talking business Confused
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 07:27 am
Venus does turn very slowly in the opposite direction of the other planets and Uranus turns at about a 90 degree angle. The orbit of Pluto is tilted 30 or 40 degrees with respect to the others, but effects on Earth of tiny Pluto would be less than any of about 10 moons in our solar system. The big moon of Neptune rotates backwards. These are not new conditions, but likely has been that way for 4500 million years. Earth's magnetic field may reverse soon (producing some minor effects) but the direction of rotation of any of the planets in our solar system will change only a small amount over the next thousand times a million years. 99% confidence.
I agree with Pheonix, the web sites claiming the planets triggered the tsunami are all but surely wrong, not only about the tsunami, but most every thing else on these junk web sites. Neil
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Hi Nav,

Phoenix is right, the theories you are reading (and referenced in your posts) are pure crap, and it's pretty easy to see through them if you picture what it would take to reverse the spin of a planet...

Even though some planets rotate in different directions, none of them change their spin unless they are hit by massive objects (other planets). This type of thing could have occurred early in the development of our solar system, but nothing of this magnitued has occurred in recent history.

For a planet to change its direction of spin, the entire mass of the planet must be stopped and then reversed, and the only way to do this is to hit it an angle with another mass (another planet) going the opposite direction. Needless to say, such an impact would destroy both planets completely.

Picture a giant monster truck tire weighing several tons spinning on an axis, and you come along and try to stop it. How are you going to do it? It's going to drag you around like a rag doll if you try to get ahold of it, and if that tire was a planet in space, then there would be nothing for you to brace against to even begin to try to slow it down. You could get another monster truck tire, spin it in the opposite direction and bang them together, but even then all that would happen is it would stop spinning because they are of equal mass. In order to change the direction of spin of the first tire, you would need a more massive tire going in the other direction.

Anyway, since we haven't seen any "larger than Earth" planets hitting Earth lately, we can safely say that its direction of spin is the same, and like the other planets, will remain so until such an impact occurs.

Best Regards, Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
Now, take that monster tire on an axle. its rotating at say , a fixed rate of 100 rpm at the center. Take the axle and rotate it so that its N axis becomes the S axis. youve accomplished what this thread proposed without disturbing the angular momentum or requiring any ssudden stops. Youve flipped the earth over, and preserved its orbit. we often do these kinds of what if the planet really got whacked problems in geophysics. The earth presently has a 22 degree tilt, it could have been more if an external force hit it just right.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:04 am
Re: The Earth fate..
navigator wrote:
...a friend of mine sent me a message that NASA said that this happened because all the planets started to rotate - cycle- in the reverse direction....

Anyone ever hear of conservation of angular momentum? Do you know how much torque/force it would take to do this? People/buildings/cities would be thrown out into space when the direction of rotation changed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
Youre correct only if the present axial trace is retained. You can go through a solution wherein the axis goes through a phase wherein it must point directly perpendicular to its orbit and then flip over. The explosion of Mt Toba is said to have added alsmost a degree to the axial trace of the planet.

I agree that if cAM were not preserved , it would be total wipe out of the planet, especially the atmosphere. But Im just saying that there is a way to accomplish the project weve undertaken by just flipping everything over CAM would be preserved , there aould be some cool vectors of G and Mm while it occured but we could live through it. it would involve mostly overcoming inertia.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
farmerman wrote:
Now, take that monster tire on an axle. its rotating at say , a fixed rate of 100 rpm at the center. Take the axle and rotate it so that its N axis becomes the S axis. youve accomplished what this thread proposed without disturbing the angular momentum or requiring any ssudden stops. Youve flipped the earth over, and preserved its orbit. we often do these kinds of what if the planet really got whacked problems in geophysics. The earth presently has a 22 degree tilt, it could have been more if an external force hit it just right.

Hi Farmerman, it would still take a very big "whack" from another object to change the orientation of the axis (of the Earth).

Also, gyroscopes (and planets) resist changes in axis orientation, so there would be angular counter forces to any attempt to change that axis. Unfortunately, such calculations get very complex, and are way beyond my ability to predict. Brandon or Satt might be able to handle it though Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
ros, believe it or not, the calcs for orbital deformation are run on sspreadsheets where the angular shift of orbits are used as variables and you can generate pages of stuff that generally agrees with what you say, but that doesnt stop us form playing with it. The earth isnt so much a gyro as it is aan egg, (a raw egg in factt) wherein the constant drag of the molten core imparts a precession on the axis and orbit with a period of about 22.5 K years.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
farmerman wrote:
ros, believe it or not, the calcs for orbital deformation are run on sspreadsheets where the angular shift of orbits are used as variables and you can generate pages of stuff that generally agrees with what you say, but that doesnt stop us form playing with it. The earth isnt so much a gyro as it is aan egg, (a raw egg in factt) wherein the constant drag of the molten core imparts a precession on the axis and orbit with a period of about 22.5 K years.

I'm not surprised it can be done with machines, I just can't do the calculations myself.

And yes, the Earth is roughly a "raw egg" gyro with all kinds of real world elastic properties, making calculations even more messy.

I'm getting hungry for some reason, I'm going to go fry an egg Smile
0 Replies