how can light go around corners?..i just dont get it

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:39 am
i just dont get it.... a little while ago i saw commercials for straight la$er, a laser that you put on your wall and it creates a straight line for you to hang things up. but the commercial said that the laser even goes around corners. i didnt believe it. so i look it up online and research it (yes, ik i have no life Crying or Very sad ) and everywhere i wentt said that it goes around corners, but didnt say how. i thought it was just something where they give you more than one laser, but its not. theres only one laser and there are pictures of it going around corners. ik it mite be fake but if its not how is it possible?!

does anyone kno how it goes around corners (if it really does)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,711 • Replies: 19
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:48 am
I didn't know light could go round corners either...so I will be watching this thread for the A2K'ers in the know! :wink:
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:51 am
i didnt kno it could either...but apparently this commercial has proved me wrong :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:02 am
I don't have a scientific mind...too busy being gorgeous...but I thought that light needed to refract to bend...maybe you put 'something' on the corner and point the laser at it...and it 'turns' it? Okay, I'll go back to putting the mascara on. Feels good actually replying to a post on Science and Mathematics thread though...first time ever! :wink:
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:06 am
Waves bend around corners, could this be it? I mean light is an electromagnetic wave, so it behaves like a wave.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:06 am
Keep being gorgeous Sarah..

I prefer you that way..
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:18 am
Why thank you Francis...Happy New Year to you as well. Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:31 am
Happy new year to you, dear!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:34 am
Thanks to the world wide web, I didn't only find the video/ad HERE, but the internet provided the answer as well (others have wondered about this, too :wink: ):

Check out the fine print that flashes about 1 second under the claim that it goes around corners.

They reorient the laser to that corner and transit down that wall seperately. To get the image they show you would have to have two lasers to shoot simultaneous lines.
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:43 am
thanks walter.... thats what i suspected and for the most part knew had to be the solution. i just saw all those comments on it actually going around corners....maybe i shuldnt always beleive what i read Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:46 am
You could do that by using one laser alone, with a little mirror in the corner.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:59 am
Oh it's all greek to me...back to the make-up.

Now how do they get that new mascara to curl your lashes...mmmm
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:35 am
By using "form memory" materials..
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:00 am
Francis, your very clever! Though it's not usually a requirement in my men...it's a bonus. I nearly got the 'bendy light' thing right...about 'something' on the corners! Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:12 am
You are learning fast Sarah :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
Quote:
Waves bend around corners, could this be it? I mean light is an electromagnetic wave, so it behaves like a wave.

Light does bend around corners, but it could only bend around the outside corners of a box, not the inside corners. It also would not bend anywhere close to 90 degrees.
0 Replies

x0suphocated0x

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:43 pm
but light must be able to go around corners? Cos when a light it on in the room over.. And I stand around 2 corners so that I cannot see the first room.. I still get a little bit of light coming from the light? Eg. Kitchen light on and I can still see it when Im in my bedroom.. or something.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:05 pm
You point the beam AT the corner.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:26 pm
They make 3 kinds of laser levels.
1... sits on a tripod and spins a self levelling level beam in 360 degrees. It runs a laser beam only along corners that it can "see" We use these to level strain gages in the fields. I dont think that the consumer version is worth a pinch of **** cause their accuracy is like +/- 1/4" at 50 ft. Thats hardly worth using to do some accurate linings or trim in a room. The pro models cost about 2 grand and arent a cost usually justified for homeowner use. also the spinning laser , besides being self levelling, can urt your eyes and is hard to see on the object in a bright area without using a sonic level detector, which is another instrument that beeps aat different rates when your high, low, or dead on the beam. It has a little marker hole where you can stick a pencil line

2 another kind , like Black and Decker, makes aa slit projecting self levelling laser that sticks to the wall by suction cups and can only go and shoot a beam around INSIDE corners. Itll shoot a beam around the inside wall of a small room. It too is only about +/- 1/8 in per 100 ft so its at least better.
3 The thing i bought for house use (the strain gage level is too big for painting a line on a wall or hanging piictures)is a little tripod non self levelling (you must use a screw to adjust the laser by centering a bubble. This is good because its accuracy is +/- 0.001 per mer meter.But If you or your stupid dog bumps the tripod, its knocks it over aand you have to start over.
I actually prefer the non self levelling models because its as accurate as optical plumb bobs and are essentially dead on unless your foucault pendulum error needs to be accounted for
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 04:14 pm
I had figured it was a simple problem of somehow projecting a laser plane, like getting a whole bunch of lasers or something. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
0 Replies