NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

tutors

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
Not another difficult maths question. :l
0 Replies

jjbuttcrack

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:58 pm
i have submitted. there's really no way to know for sure if you are right on this one, (not like most Lenny's where the solution is quite obvious once you've worked it out.)
there is much potential for math errors here.

PM me if you want to compare answers. i ended up with 6 digits, sum of 28.
cecelia

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:23 pm
@jjbuttcrack,
I tried it, idk if I got the right answer but I got 6 digits that add up to 14. I just used sin & cos and assigned each circle a radius of r1, r2, & r3, and then used their radii to form right triangles.
0 Replies

lennyfan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:36 pm
Hmm, I have 6 digits (before the decimal point) summing to 24. Quite a range we are getting here.

I just used the law of sines to figure out the radius of the medium sized circle and then the law of cosines to figure out the radius of the small circle.

They also forgot to put in the usual instructions to round to the nearest square inch.
crazylittlepenguin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:41 pm
I also have 6 digits adding to 24. I used the Soddy Circles method to solve for the radius of the smallest circle. Remember that your answer has to be the area for *all* of the small circles, not just one.
lennyfan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:51 pm
@crazylittlepenguin,
I just redid the calculation using Soddy Circle formulas and came up with the same answer (rounded to the nearest square inch).
0 Replies

medy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:52 pm
I can confirm, 6 and 24. Took me way-way too long.
0 Replies

crazylittlepenguin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:53 pm
Ok, yea. I also checked the scale relative to the large circle and its radius, and the number makes sense from that perspective as well.
lennyfan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
@crazylittlepenguin,
Right, the scale seems appropriate, just based on the visual.
0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
i had figured out equations for solving it using inner soddy but am stumped for numerical answer without the radius of brown circles. i am just missing a dumb but crucial step i know..

but i don't see how law of sines can be applied here?
0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:27 pm
gahhhhhhh neevermind. i see now.

will work through my equations and report back.
0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
alright, 1st run through, i got 6 digits adding to 23. but it could easily be a rounding issue. will go through again
crazylittlepenguin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:42 pm
@vvktv,
I'd keep as many decimal places as you can throughout your calculations and then round only at the end - that might help.
0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
yeah i was just in a hurry to get a ballpark to compare haha

i kept everything stored and yes, 6 digits, sum of 24

man, i'm upset. i had all the equations linked within 5 min of release, just made it way more complicated than necessary to determine that brown radius! oh well. thanks for the discussion guys
crazylittlepenguin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@vvktv,
It definitely took me longer than 5 minutes to find and work through the proper equations, so kudos to you!
I actually figured out the brown radius first, because I figured that was the simplest trig in the question (for me, anyway). Once I found the right Soddy triangle equation though, inputting the numbers couldn't have been easier.

I definitely recommend the Soddy method for people still looking for the solution. I'm not that great at math, but that system made it a lot simpler Wink
0 Replies

lennyfan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:21 pm
So nobody put out the answer to last week's LC yet? I never did manage to unscramble it on my own, so I didn't submit an answer. The final answer was Hannah and the Ice Caves after unscrambling INHAEACAVSNHATNECDHE. My puzzle solution was:

E T I S R D H V M N C A
A M C D T E N I V S H R
H R N V M A C S I T V E
N S V E H C M A T R I D
M C T A N R I D H E S V
R D H I V T S E N A M C
T N S H E M D R A C V I
I E M C A N V H R D T S
V A D R I S T C E M N H
S I E M D V R T C H A N
C H A N S I E M D V R T
D V R T C H A N S I E M
0 Replies

crazylittlepenguin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:34 pm
Someone did post the solution to unscrambling, just not to the letter sudoku Wink
lennyfan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@crazylittlepenguin,
Oops, you're right - it was with the e-mail congratulations.
0 Replies

tutors

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:50 am
@crazylittlepenguin,
hahah, yeah, i did, but i didn't post the letter sudoku x(
i used a sudoku completer changing the letters into numbers.
0 Replies

bunandstan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:48 am
@lennyfan,
lennyfan - how do i post personally to you to see if our answers agree?