The European Union

Bram

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
Living in North America, I have not paid much attention to the European Union until, first, the advent of the euro, and secondly, the enlargement of the EU to 25 countries in May.

I would like to know if Europeans consider that it was a good thing that their country joined the EU, and if yes, how did they benefit from it, and if no, why. For the new EU members, what would be your hopes and/or your concerns. Also, do you consider that it would be good that Turkey join the EU, and whether it will be soon realized.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,440 • Replies: 23
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
I am from the UK and I think:-

1. My country joined the EU on 1st January, 1973, and I think it was a good thing because Europeans should stick together to compete economically and otherwise with the big nations/powers such as Russia, China, the US etc.

2. We have benefitted from the large internal market created by the EU. We have also benefitted from the freedom to work and travel in the EU without visas, and we have benefitted from the great culture and civilisation of Europe.

3. My hopes are for a prosperous Europe, where human rights are protected, where the power of America is counterbalanced.

4. Turkey should not join the EU for at least 15-20 years if ever. It has much work to do on human rights. Also it has borders with Syria and Iraq among others. We need that like a hole in the head! The biggest reason (for me) is that George W Bush has said that Turkey should join the EU. It must, therefore, be a BAD IDEA. It is none of America's business who joins the EU.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
Contrex, I think you summarized pretty much the feelings of EU people. The Turkey issue, of course, will be the subject of referendums of the EU countries, and I think that the nations will vote accordingly to their heads and/or their hearts.

Anyone else? I am really interested to hear more points of view.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
Just changing contrex' response a bit:

1. My country is a founding member country of the EU, and I think it was a good thing because Europeans should stick together to compete economically and otherwise with the big nations/powers such as Russia, China, the US etc.

2. We have benefitted from the large internal market created by the EU, notably on trade and agriculture at first. We have also benefitted from the freedom to work and travel in the EU without visas, and we have benefitted from the great culture and civilisation of Europe.

3. My hopes are for a prosperous Europe, where human rights are protected, where the power of America is counterbalanced.

4. Turkey can not join the EU for at least 10- 15 years. It has much work to do on human rights.
It is none of America's business who joins the EU.

Thanks for your interest, Bram.

Although you personally didn't pay much attention to the EU, Cnada as a country has: since 1976, there's a "Framework Agreement for Commercial and Economic Cooperation" between your country and the EU, and the EU is Canada's second largest economic partner.

You find a lot of info at this website:
Canada & the European Union
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:16 pm
Holy smoke, Walter, how did you find such a link? I am awed!! Laughing

Indeed, plenty of info, but kind of general. I find rather that the site of the EU is absolutely fabulous ... a dream, I mean, if you want to learn about the EU, like I do.

You are right that as a private citizen, I have not paid much attention to the EU, and I can say the same for a lot of my co-citizens. Why, most don't even know about the enlargement! It is such a lack of interest and knowledge from our part that I think, as a citizen of the world, we ought to repair to.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:04 am
Bram wrote:
I find rather that the site of the EU is absolutely fabulous ... a dream, I mean, if you want to learn about the EU, like I do.

Europe on the Web is a comprehensive list for "post-graduate students" like you :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 03:50 am
I think that the EU is, on the whole, a good idea. Britain should join the Euro ASAP as well. Although sterling is doing well against the Euro currently, it's not going to last and we need a slice of the pie.

One thing that constantly annoys me are the cries of "loss of sovereignty" that come from the Eurosceptics in this country, when asked why they don't want the UK to integrate further into the EU. It may come from some sense of national pride, but I can't imagine that the average Briton is any more, or less, proud of their country than the average German, Frenchman, Italian or Spaniard, and those countries (and all the others) have managed to cope with this so-called "loss of sovereignty".
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:26 pm
Walter, I had to pick up my jaw from the floor! Laughing What a site, what a site! And no, I am not a post-graduate student, I am still at EU 101, and not so sure about that now. :wink:

About "loss of sovereignty", Grand Duke, please note that in Canada, we have that eternal worry in the province of Quebec. Laughing Mind you, I think you can't have anything without giving something up, can you?
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:41 am
It would be a tragedy if Turkey joins the EU.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:25 am
As already said on another thread: it's not a question "if" but "when" Turkey joins the EU as full member.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 04:47 pm
Where is the thread, Walter? I would be interested to read the discussions.

A question I have is why is the EU giving plenty of money to Turkey to, I think, meet the access requirements? Isn't it a done deal then (that Turkey join the EU), no matter when that will happen?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:03 pm
Bram wrote:
Where is the thread, Walter? I would be interested to read the discussions.

This happens/happened continuously after someone poszs "islamicac questions" re Europe, on various threads I might look up tomorrow (going to bed now :wink: ).

Bram wrote:
A question I have is why is the EU giving plenty of money to Turkey to, I think, meet the access requirements? Isn't it a done deal then (that Turkey join the EU), no matter when that will happen?

For the same reason ("bed"), I just give this link EU relations to Turkey, hoping that helps to answer your question.

Otherwise ... see above ("tomorrow) :wink:
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
Walter, this is a great link, Thanks! Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:04 pm
Bram wrote:
Walter, this is a great link, Thanks! Smile

Here's an even better one (when fully installed, I hope :wink: ):

Your Europe
which has suffered ongoing delays during its development, will act as the central online information point for the EU. Eventually it is hoped to offer cross border transactional services. Originally, the portal was due to become available in 2003 but was delayed after it encountered difficulties in attempting to integrate information and services from national administration systems. It is divided into two sections, one for businesses and one for members of the public. The "citizens" section holds over 1,300 fact sheets and offers guides to users covering a range of topics such as employment, education and taxation. Businesses can access information on registration of companies, public procurement and funding opportunities.
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:42 pm
I forget which 10 nations joined the EU this year, if anyone knows what they are can you please post them somewhere on this forum ? However I know for a fact that 3 former Soviet republics in Europe (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus) haven't joined yet but hopefully they will ( :wink: ) I believe these 3 former Soviet states would be better off (politically, economically, etc) if they do join so they can build a closer relationship with western Europe. I've heard Turkey was contemplating on joining the E.U., but I'm not sure about their outvcome. Does anyone here know if Turkey joined the E.U. or have they shrugged that idea off?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
shortncute11185 wrote:
I forget which 10 nations joined the EU this year, if anyone knows what they are can you please post them somewhere on this forum?

Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary
Slovenia
Cyprus
Malta

shortncute11185 wrote:
I've heard Turkey was contemplating on joining the E.U., but I'm not sure about their outvcome. Does anyone here know if Turkey joined the E.U. or have they shrugged that idea off?

Haven't joined quite yet, but negotiations will finally be opened later this year. Could still be another 5 or probably 10, even 15 years before they actually join, though ... candidates for accession have an extensive programme of legal, economic and political reforms to undertake before they're accepted in. Just look at how long it took the former "Eastern block" countries in the list above to get in. Moreover, the mere idea of Turkish accession is sure raising some disagreement across the continent - it may well even impact the upcoming referendums about the European constitution, which although it's actually unrelated, people might use to express their dissatisfaction with the idea.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:19 pm
Did anyone see the footage of the Turkish police banging pacific demonstrators for the International Day of Women Workers?

(It reminded me so much of my youth, BTW, but I was smart and dodged the blows) Wink.

I don't think that attitude going to help Turkey's bid into the EU.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:39 pm
Nope - that drew official censure (as well as some disbelief)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:31 pm
disbelief or dissappointment?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:28 am
isnt disbelief the next degree of dissapointment? ;-)

(as in, "i cant believe they just did that!")

i would go look up & translate4 some newspaper commentary, post something more serious here, but i'm not up to it ...
0 Replies