Did animals' 'sixth sense' save them from tsunami?

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
There's also the power of deduction, which isn't a sense per se, but can lead to a reaction none the less.

One Tsunami survivor described being in a train and seeing the look of terror on people's faces as they ran, so he ran too, before he knew what the problem was.

That's based on the 5 senses again, though -- vision primarily, probably hearing too.

Quote:
I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that animals can feel when another animal is in terror, and not acting normally. So maybe when all the fish leave the shores, all the sea birds fly away, and all the dock rats see it and get nervous, which scares the cats, which scares the dogs, which run for cover and a wave of animal panic sweeps inland faster than the water...

That would make sense.

Quote:
Animals senses and peoples senses don't act in isolation. They combine to give us a powerful representation of the world.

That has been my point.

Quote:
The animals perception of the world around them must be colored more deeply be a different primary sense, which gives them a more clear sense of danger.

This I disagree with -- I think that for different animals, different senses might be more finely honed than ours, but I don't think there is some other completely separate sense. I think we largely blunder through life without using many of our senses -- I know that I use sight much, much more than most people. (I am constantly shocked by how people failed to notice something that was completley obvious to me.) I think that as a matter of survival and evolution, animals use their senses more than we do. Separately, there is the aspect of often having better senses than we do (hearing, smell), but I think it's mostly that they have fewer filters and a better ability to integrate what their senses tell them and act on it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
The animals perception of the world around them must be colored more deeply be a different primary sense, which gives them a more clear sense of danger.

This I disagree with -- I think that for different animals, different senses might be more finely honed than ours, but I don't think there is some other completely separate sense.

I think we agree. I didn't mean to imply that there was some other entirely unknown sense. When I said "different primary" sense, I was thinking that Dogs perceive their world mostly with their nose, rather than eyes, and that cats may percieve it with their ears more than eyes. Thus, the overall perception of reality is "colored" by a different dominant sense.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
It's pretty clear that people and animals are sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes. Many people report specific aches and pains before storms (pressure drops).

But humans cannot identify the cause of the aches and pains before storms coming. We have so many reasons of pain.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:29 pm
Here's a very Interesting Link

Here's a clip:

ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE

As the air pressure around you rises or falls, many changes in nature occur. Most of these are obvious others are subtler. If you find yourself in a marsh or swamp and the air really seems to stink more than normal, expect rainy weather. This happens when the pressure drops and the methane trapped on the bottom of the swamp is released in greater quantities. In reverse, as fair weather approaches and the pressure rises, things won't smell quite so strong.

Mountains and other faraway objects will appear to be much closer and more sharply focused as wet weather approaches and the air pressure drops. The dust particles in the air begin to settle to the ground and the air clears allowing you to see more details of faraway objects. As a high-pressure front approaches and the air becomes thicker, more dust particles become suspended in air and things take on their normal somewhat hazy appearance.

Sound too becomes sharper and more focused prior to stormy weather. Instead of traveling upward and outward into the atmosphere sound waves are bent back to the earth and their range extended. Even birdcalls sound sharper.Remember a grandparent talking about how their corn, bunions or joints ached right before a rain? Again, this is due to the decreasing atmospheric pressure allowing the gas in our bodies to expand.

Birds and bats have a tendency to fly much lower to the ground right before a rain due to the "thinning" of the air. They prefer to fly where the air is the densest and they can get greater lift with their wings. With high pressure and dry air, the atmosphere becomes denser and they can easily fly at higher altitudes.

Smoke rising straight into the air means fair weather and smoke hanging low means rain is on the way. This is pretty much the same as with the birds and methane in the swamp. With the high pressure approaching and the air becoming denser, smoke will rise whereas with low pressure it can't rise and tends to lay low.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
Dog's barking in the above was an example. Tsunamis do not cause any particular changes of the air pressure as in the nearing storm.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
Of course, none of this "weather prediction" explains the animals ability to predict a Tsunami. The atmosphere is virtually unaffected by the approach of a Tsunami.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:39 pm
And it is not clear wheather the dog barking before storms is due to the air pressure change.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
By the way, crows around my house often caw in the night (but not insistent), and I have felt nothing disastarous in particular. I favor night crow caw.. It gives me some lively feelings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
Remember being young and being afraid of a dog? An approaching storm? Lightening? A stranger?

We were likely told to not be afraid and that everything was okay. So, over time, as we are repeatedly told not to trust our instincts, we stop relying on them and believing them.

Also, since we are the primary hunter on this planet, we don't have the need to be as alert as animals.

My 2 cents is that we are born with the sensitivity the animals exhibited, but that we have been taught to ignore our instinct.

Another example would be the neighbor who ends up being a pedaphile or murderer. A child probably knew to be afraid, but the parents tell the news station "He was just a normal guy that never caused any problems around here." In retrospect that parent might remember the child hiding behind them when the neighbor came to borrow something. What did the parent likely do at that time? probably told Jr. to stop and come on out here and shake the new neighbors hand! Jr. has just learned to squilsh his instinct for survival.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
satt_fs wrote:
By the way, crows around my house often caw in the night (but not insistent), and I have felt nothing disastarous in particular. I favor night crow caw.. It gives me some lively feelings.

What country do you live in Satt? Flamingo's and Crows have a very wide range Smile
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:54 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
What country do you live in Satt? Flamingo's and Crows have a very wide range Smile

where flamingos fly
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
squinney wrote:
My 2 cents is that we are born with the sensitivity the animals exhibited, but that we have been taught to ignore our instinct.

Hmmm, I like that theory a lot Squinney. It never occured to me before. Thanks Smile

I do think that being the dominant predator on the planet has a lot to do with our general sense of security.

I remember seeing the news clips of Roy Horn (of Siegfried and Roy) being attacked by that tiger. It was remarkable how quickly the scene changed from a man working a big cat, to a wild tiger holding a small helpless primate by the throat.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:57 pm
To answer a question of rosborne's a page or so back, no, I don't think there's anything 'supernatural' at all about animals' ability to sense some things that we usually, apparently, do not. I tend to agree with Squinney that this may well be something that we, too, are born with, but that gets discarded as needless baggage early in. Compared to other animals, mankind lives in comparative safety from the elements and from other species. Sensors that tell him, "Watch out!" seem surplufous in such a situation and the child never develops them to any extent. That's not supernatural. Most things are not.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
satt_fs wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
http://www.songtrellis.com/picture$3291.gif
where flamingos fly

Nice song, but still no clue where Flamingos fly.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
I'm intrigued by the whales and dolphins that beached themselves prior to the earthquake. With their sonar hearing, imagine the grinding of the plates underground for a month or so before the actual big quake and how that would drive them nuts. In an effort to get away from the mind wrenching sound vibrating through the water, I can easily imagine them beaching themselves.

Wish someone would study that idea. They may have been an even earlier warning sign than the scrambling bunnies and flitting birds.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:14 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

Geographically I am located in Japan now, entering into the year of bird, 2005.

Greeting of a happy new year to you!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:51 pm
According to Phuket Tsunami Blog, dogs could not avoid tsunamis in Phuket. Were they too loyal to humans to survive the tsunamis?

Quote:
But now - there are no more dogs. Each morning, with the bodies of people also come bodies of dogs. As they clean up the destruction, and bring out body bags of people - they also bring out dogs. They are placed in plastic bags, and thrown in to special vehicles. They can't exactly haul them away with the garbage, as the rotting flesh will also cause disease. But they also don't have a morgue the mongrels.

On the morning of the wave, most likely were able to keep their heads about the water when the first swell came in. Dogs have a way of being able to swim. But when the second, more churning wave came, they also would have been trashed about - and eventually all dragged back in to the ocean.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 08:50 am
satt_fs wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Geographically I am located in Japan now, entering into the year of bird, 2005.

Greeting of a happy new year to you!

Ah yes, I remember landing in Narita Airport years ago and seeing Crows outside. I remembered thinking how much they looked like the Crows back home, even half a world away.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:12 pm
Quote:
Ah yes, I remember landing in Narita Airport years ago and seeing Crows outside. I remembered thinking how much they looked like the Crows back home, even half a world away.

Nah! I took a poetical image from a song..

Flamingos Fly Lyric

Go for a ride
In the still of the night
And morning brings forth
All this wonderful delight
Couldn't have made it more plain
When I heard that soft refrain
And I heard you gently sigh

Wanna take you where flamingos fly, flamingos fly
Way over yonder in the clear blue sky
That's where flamingos fly

Lie in the dark
With the sound of the nightingale
Listen for a lark
I will tell you a tale
Breeze is blowin', blowin' outside
Wanna take that moonlight ride
When I hear you gently sigh

That's where flamingos fly

Well we're here and we're waiting
For that morning light to shine
And I'm looking at you looking at me looking right back at you
And I'm anticipating
Sounds along the way
Looking at you looking at me looking right back at you, hey

I'll follow the road
That will take me, take me right back home
And carry that load
Where the deer and the provincial angels roam
Happiness touches, touches me now
I know where it came from and how
When I hear you gently sigh

That's where flamingos fly, flamingos fly
Way over the rooftops of the houses
I heard it one time, I heard it one time in a lullaby
I heard it one time, I heard it one time in a lullaby
Somewhere, somewhere, somewhere way over the rooftops of the houses
Heard it one time in a lullaby
Heard it one time, heard it one time in a lullaby
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:41 pm
Some animals can feel vibrations and stuffs; couldn't this be what saved them?
0 Replies