Recognize This Flower?

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:24 am
Does anyone recognize the red flower in this picture? It comes in yellow too and is a common garden flower here . Locally it's called "Achira" but that name doesn't pull up the right plant in searches in Spanish or English.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Pitter/Jardin%20dapa/Achira2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,135 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
This it???

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/achira.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
Good for you, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:44 am
see here a collection of photos of Canna :

Canna
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
I was thinking canna too. I grew it for the first time last summer. It was magnificent. I didn't pull it out in time to save it from the frost and it's mostly grown here in zone 6 as an annual. Does anyone here have luck replanting canna bulbs in colder climates?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:52 pm
Yes Phoenix thanks that looks like it all right and native to South America. I guess I just didn't pull up a convincing picture of it in my search. Much obliged.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 05:26 pm
Pitter- It's a gorgeous flower. I wonder if it would grow in my neck of the woods?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
Jeez I don't know...could be. It seems equally happy down in the hot city, temp in the eighties and up at two thousand meters where the temp is in the sixties. But of course those are constant year round temps.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
recognized it right away, from your photograph, Pitter. Lots of them in Melbourne, Oz gardens. They look great in mass plantings .... and not so wonderful when they stop flowering & die back.
0 Replies

flowerlady

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
This flower is known as Canna
0 Replies

bagzlady

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
My MIL always called them (canna's) Flags.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:38 pm
J_B wrote:
I was thinking canna too. I grew it for the first time last summer. It was magnificent. I didn't pull it out in time to save it from the frost and it's mostly grown here in zone 6 as an annual. Does anyone here have luck replanting canna bulbs in colder climates?

I have luck with them in zone 5. I dig them up in the fall and lay them out to dry. Then I box em up and put em' in my basement.

Be sure and seperate the tubers....as they do multiply! I usually do a second planting in very early summer, so come early fall, I still have some in bloom. That way the humming birds can stop and feed on them as they are heading south for the winter.

Besides being beautiful, the butterflies and humming birds love them!

They grow beautifully in Ohio. Smile
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
They grow beautifully in Arkansas too.

If not mistaken, they come in White and pink also...
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:55 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
They grow beautifully in Arkansas too.

If not mistaken, they come in White and pink also...

I'm sure they do! I always plant red for the humming birds, though.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:18 am
Brook I've noticed that since I planted five or six original plants there seem to be offshoots. Can I dig those up and replant them elsewhere in my gardens?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:45 pm
Pitter wrote:
Brook I've noticed that since I planted five or six original plants there seem to be offshoots. Can I dig those up and replant them elsewhere in my gardens?

Well, I'm not real sure to be honest with you. But in order to get them out of the ground you would need to very gently break them away from the main tuber, without distrubing it, yet keep the roots intact on the offshoot. If I were you, I would just leave it be for now. Then when you dig them up in the fall (or dormacy begins) you can seperate the shoots then.

And just think, in the spring.......you'll have alot more to enjoy. Very Happy
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:06 am
Thank you Brook. Was it Dorothy who said it? Anyway I ain't in Kansas anymore and there is no fall or spring and the "Achiras" as they're called here just keep growing year round. Well I've got lots so I'll just try it. Side note: it turns out the roots were a staple food of the Incas.
0 Replies