Photos of the Wave

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:03 am
There is one posted in todays NY Times. Where can I see other photos of the actual waves that struck?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 13
No top replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:38 am
http://digilander.libero.it/aliendream/onde/onda-wave.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:40 am
that looks like a scene from the movie The day after tomorrow.

oh my god. how scary
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:42 am
soy chistoso...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:43 am
It is, basically, shewolfnm, not the real wave but a digital image.

What struck me about the pic in today's paper is that it's NOT particularly scary -- you have to think about it, and once I did I was mentally screaming at the woman in the bikini in the foreground to RUN for it...

Hmm, haven't found it yet.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:45 am
Apparently the initial wave wasn't the problem...the secondary waves scoured the coast with jetsam.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
This is the only place I've found it so far -- the second picture.

That's a picture of the secondary wave, after the first wave and come and the seas receded.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/12/31/nytfrontpage/scan.jpg
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:39 am
DigitalGlobe has some satellite images here:

http://www.digitalglobe.com/tsunami_gallery.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
Phuket Tsunami
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:55 am
Hinteler's link provides us with commentary from various sources... among which are inflammatory comments from the self-righteous.

Arrogance, insensitivity and sanctimony are having a field day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
I just saw a lot of amazing images. (Walter's link.) Having major connection problem so had to give it up, will go back to it.

One thing I notice is that it's like the whole ocean rose -- usually when there is a big wave, it is a sort of a c shape, the crest at the top and then the back goes back down to sealevel. It looked like "sealevel" itself was affected, so the wave didn't look as big as it actually was.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
This link allows you to toggle back and forth between "before" and "after" images:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/indonesia/aceh-andaman-tsunami-imagery.htm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:40 am
tsunami's are caused b y breaks in the plates,by an undersea earthquake,landslip or volcanic eruption that are under water. the land falls and creates a HUGE hole . When the hole fills, the residual water splashes up and flows twords land causing enormous waves.

Sorry... my words are pretty simple and I dont have a link to provide more info.. but I think you get the point.
What is scary to me is that they are pretty much unpredictable and completely destructive, and can happen anywhere the plates meet.
I dont know if there are any joining plates on the costal waters of america?????
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:27 am
shewolfnm wrote:
tsunami's are caused b y breaks in the plates,by an undersea earthquake,landslip or volcanic eruption that are under water. the land falls and creates a HUGE hole . When the hole fills, the residual water splashes up and flows twords land causing enormous waves.

Sorry... my words are pretty simple and I dont have a link to provide more info.. but I think you get the point.
What is scary to me is that they are pretty much unpredictable and completely destructive, and can happen anywhere the plates meet.
I dont know if there are any joining plates on the costal waters of america?????

Shewolf... here is a map of the plates. It's in Portuguese but I think you get the picture. (sorry, I don't have much time to find one in english right now, and I had this one on my computer already).

Tectonic Plates Map.
0 Replies