Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:47 am
Anyone with experience owning a dobe? How was your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,869 • Replies: 9
No top replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:53 am
To me, the Dobie is the ultimate dog, but like a few other breeds, people get them for the wrong reasons.

I had my Dobie for 14 years, and it is so true that the things that bring you the most pleasure also bring you the most grief.

A Dobie needs space, love, and proper trainng. I generalize, but Dobies are extremely intelligent and
loyal - while I can only genealize, they are sometimes a one-person dog - mine picked me as hers.

Ask lots of questions before taking on the responsibility. Good luck!
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
Thank you J_B!

Couple questions for you if you don't mind.

What do you mean that people get them for the wrong reasons?

Did you train your dobie yourself or did you take it somewhere to be trained? I was told by someone that if you don't train them and train them fast they will train you? Is there truth to this?

I've always wanted a Doberman, but never felt like I was in a situation where I'd be able to give it the kind of attention it would need. I was just recently offered a job where I will be working from home so I would be around all the time. I have a fenced in yard on a large lot. I don't have any other pets and live in a clean home.

So, would you encourage or discouage me from getting one?

Thanks again!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:17 am
bermbits is right. Too many people buy the dobie and train them to be aggressive and nasty. While they are a more agressive breed, say more so than the retriever, they are not mean dogs. They will defend their family though. They are extremely loyal and intelligent (as pointed out earlier). Dobies get a bad reputation because they have been bred to be guard dogs. The reason they are good guard dogs is not because they are nasty. It's because they will defend what is theirs. They are good family dogs, they love people but MUST be socialized early as a puppy or they may get too defensive of their family.

Train the dog properly, give it lots of love and space to run and you should be a happy owner with a happy doggie.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:23 am
(J_B??)

Hi - some people get them for the "macho" image like Rotties or Pit Bulls. That is so wrong!

We did go for formal training for the basics.

The fenced-in yard is great as is your being around much of the time! However, without knowing you at all, I can't recommend or dissuade. I had a former student who got one and it turned out quite badly; I know others who do just fine.

So much depends on having a well-bred dog and the time and attention. Do read up on the breed and decide if you have the time and desire to do what it takes to have a wonderful companion.

You have said nothing that says it is a bad idea. The fact you are asking is a good thing.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:55 am
Thanks for the feedback Kristie!! It was helpful.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:56 am
No idea where L_B came from, bermbits. I think I saw that handle on another message and wasn't paying attention. My bad.

You've been a big help. Thanks again!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:10 pm
As is the case with all dogs, the individual is far more important than the breed. Come to think of it, that's also true of humans and their various ethnicities. I believe you can no more generalize about Dobermans than about Ukranians, Taoists, or auto mechanics. You can find some truly fine individuals, and also some true losers. I have always recommended to my clients to not be irreversibly committed to any particular line of genetics when looking for a pet, although the size of the dog is important to a lot of people. Take your time, and find a dog you like, and who likes you as well. On second thought, forget that last part. Dogs like everybody!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:38 pm
Someone dropped a young doberman at our farm and we had it for about 3 months till we found it a home. it was a fearless and agressively friendly dog with the family but that was always challenging our catahoulas.
The catahoulas were waay too smart so they soon learned hhow to dominaate the dobie and then the dobie fit in .
It broke our heart to give it up but we see it now and again and its a well trained dog that still comes up to us and licks our hands . The family that took him was an elderly couple who had a faarm and they wanted some company that made the woman secure when alone. I think they suffer from bad PR because , after thhe dog spent the first few days getting acclimated , he was a greaat dog. I would have kept him but the catahoulas are more primitive dogs that have a cleaqar pack system when they work the cattle, and we dont use them at all for sheep. The dobie had no idea whhat cattle and sheep were about, and ofteen hed just scatter the sheep.

This one came un bobbed and the ears were not cut. He looked more friendly with an unmutilaated face. The people who took him left him that way and are hhappy with their deecision. He is a big sucker and loves his groceries. I think thyeve let him get to be a bit of a fatty and I told them before Christmas. A fat dog looks a bit sloppy. Hes not real fat but maybe could lose 15 lb cuz his back has little lumps of flesh that dont make him appear trim.
0 Replies

Thoughtful Biped

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:57 am
When I was a wee lad my parents got a Doberman-German Shephard cross. She was the sweetest dog I've ever known. Silent, intelligent, playful, and very loyal. She never needed a leash and always took her commands like a good girl. We would let her out in the morning before school and work. She would go across the street to our neighbor and get her morning egg and biscuit. Then she would make her rounds to see all the other neighborhood dogs and return to the front steps where she would stand up and ring the doorbell. When the bell broke she figured it out and started scratching the door. Sadly in her old age she got hip diplasia and that was her downfall. She did not know why her legs weren't working and had an affinity for chewing at her rear as if she was searching for the answer. She lived until she was fifteen. Her name was Dottie for the brown dots she had for eyebrows on her precious black face. She might not have been all Doberman but she was still an amazing dog. As all dogs surely are. When loved properly that is.
0 Replies