Asian earthquake affects Earth's spin

DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:57 pm
Quake May Have Made Earth Wobble--US Scientists

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The deadly Asian earthquake may have permanently accelerated the Earth's rotation -- shortening days by a fraction of a second -- and caused the planet to wobble on its axis, U.S. scientists said on Tuesday.
Richard Gross, a geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, theorized that a shift of mass toward the Earth's center during the quake on Sunday caused the planet to spin 3 microseconds, or 3 millionths of a second, faster and to tilt about an inch on its axis.

When one huge tectonic plate beneath the Indian Ocean was forced below the edge of another "it had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," Gross said.

Gross said changes predicted by his model probably are too minuscule to be detected by a global positioning satellite network that routinely measures changes in Earth's spin, but said the data may reveal a slight wobble.

The Earth's poles travel a circular path that normally varies by about 33 feet, so an added wobble of an inch is unlikely to cause long-term effects, he said.

"That continual motion is just used to changing," Gross said. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation."

When those tiny variations accumulate, planetary scientists must add a "leap second" to the end of a year, something that has not been done in many years, Gross said.

Scientists have long theorized that changes on the Earth's surface such as tide and groundwater shifts and weather could affect its spin but they have not had precise measurements to prove it, Caltech seismologist Hiroo Kanamori said.

"Even for a very large event, the effect is very small," Kanamori said. "It's very difficult to change the rotation rate substantially."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,060 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:03 pm
The key sentences here are both in the last paragraph.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:22 pm
Yes, but I found it interesting.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:26 pm
There's no place to hide...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
Wow, I wonder if there will be corraboration (I can barely say that word, let alone spell it).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:32 pm
I'd rather spell it than say it.

So, which should worry me the most: the spin, the wobble, or that astroid in 2029?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:34 pm
well, if we're pushed over on our axis, that could affect our winter-summer weather patterns. So, given where you live, I'd worry more about that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:41 pm
A one inch change in tilt is pretty scary, all right, but the effects should be greater as you get closer to the polar regions, shouldn't they? Feeling dizzy up there, yet?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:44 pm
Ooooh, so that's what happened. Ya know, I'm not so much farther North than you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:18 pm
Good. I think you might be safe after all
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:27 pm
you too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:39 pm
Good grief.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 12:08 am
Well, you're probably used to being dizzy, being down there, and all. And quit winking at me, Rabbit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:16 am
named after Seeth Chandler , the wobble actually wobbles around 18 to 35 ft. Its no big deal except to the Clock in Colorado, which is based on a cesium atom spin, so they may have to search for something else or make periodic changes to the clock hands THE CHANDLER WOBBLE

Thhere will be more serious wobble effect if we get another ice age
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:03 am
Anyone remember this?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-237/epid-12660/
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:18 am
Yes, I do remember that, Phoenix. (Gad, we're showing our age!)

From all I hear/read, folks, there's naught to worry about. I think the new wobble has been pretty well corroborated, all right. But it's nothing that anyone would notice; only most sensitive of instruments can pick it up. Won't affect our lives in the future in any manner.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:38 am
I saw that one, too... in re-runs.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:03 am
That is very strange, indeed. I went to that link Phoenix, and my voice dropped an octave.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:03 am
I am not concerned about the tilt. It just amazes me that nature is so brutal. And we can do nothing to stop it. Shocked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:42 pm
No, Kristie, nor should we try. Nature isn't "brutal." That's a human concept. In nature there are no good guys, there are no bad guys. Things are as they are. Our struggle should be to fit in with nature, not "to stop it."
0 Replies