good first GPS that won't break the bank!

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:07 am
Hi, Im interested in A GPS system....I'm looking in the $150-$250 price range I don't care much if the screen is color or not but I do want one that talks and tells you where and when to turn etc...Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 794 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:51 pm
Dunno that you're gonna find what you're lookin' for in that price range - at least not yet. In a year or two, prolly so, but so far as I know, not right now. On-Board-Map-based, or "Maping", GPS units start out around $200 US - though some can be found on sale for $25-30 less. Typically, they will have a smallish screen, B&W, and a limited basemap - major roads only. Some will interface quite easily with a Laptop or Handheld PC, offering more features and flixibility. Some also will accept additional memory, and some can be downloaded with mapsets more specific to your use and area -subject, of course, to the unit's memory capacity. More money gets more features, bigger screens, larger, more detailed mapsets. To get into a talking GPS, you're lookin' somewhere around at least 2 or times that money - provided you already own a suitable handheld PC which will accept a GPS module with the desired features - and then there will be the cost of additional software. Standalone talking/mapping/color GPS units start out around $7-800, plus software needed for more advanced features, and go on up to wherever you care to quit spendin' - some marine and aviation units get into the many thousands of dollars, and take accessories just in case you figure you ain't spent enough yet Mr. Green
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:33 pm
want this for walking or driving? the cost diff is large between the 2. iking Gps's tend to be more accurate with respect to +/- square area,and theyre cheaper. Driving GPS's (with the esception of marine units) are pretty much =/- 20 meters and you can add C chips or(on the more expensive ones) aactual CD Roms of the country. The CDss will cost you about 90bucks per state 9Del Md NJ are all in one)
Garmin -units are very good.
Magellaans are more survey level =/- less thaan a meter and with WAS, you can get em to +/- 1 CM. Thats ok if youre surveying property.

The marine units can be retrofit to a car and are usually more accurate than the junk they sell for cars. Capn Bob is a good marine electronics site.

Theres a number of units, handheld gives the best for the buck. But if your all over the country, youl;ll want a Cmap or CD Rom unit.

For good value chhecking , go to either Forestry Supplies or Ben Meadows. Both companies sell to foresters and engineering. DONT go to Cabeellas exceept to check out the stock. Their markeup is outrageeous.

I use units that actually have onboard software that reads the GPS signal and compares it to a CD and creates a map which I can download to a CAD unit. very cool and accurate but , its for surveying not travelling.

I love these little instruments. Dont know what we did before GPS

OH yeh, Garmin makes a little gps module that plugs aand loads into a PC laptop it connects with Terrain Navigator Maps (brand name) . the units a sonde , about as big as a teaabag with a suction cup to hold it on the laptop. and a wire that connects to USB.
its all plug an play but you have to keep your PC battery up so you need a powerpoint charger, The GPS units suck batteries like Digital cameras
Id look at Garmins web page. google it up and check it out

timber-why would I want my gps to talk to me? do they have them that give you street names and tell you to turn at a way station? Ive never seen a ttalking one. I think Id smash it into bits and toss it out the window. I hate those computer voices
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
In my truck, I have a Garmin Street Pilot - it talks if you want it to. That can be handy; "In-1/4-Mile, Turn-Left ... In-300-Feet-Turn-Left....Turn-Left ... Drive-2.5-Miles-South-on-State-Highway-6-then-keep-left-at-exit". It'll also announce if it loses or picks up satellites, changing the accuracy, it announces if you're off-track, and can be set to announce a given distance, waypoint, or time mark. With WAS enabled, its accurate to within about 3 meters/10 feet. The display is pretty good-sized, VGA resolution, and the onboard mapset can be whatever size you wanna buy the memory and the mapset CDs for. It will interface with a 'puter, which I sometimes do. I have a Garmin E-Trex Legend handheld, and an add-on module for my handheld PC. Of the 3, the E-Trex is the most accurate - within a meter/yard, tighter still if WAS-enabled, and though it has only built-in memory, a large enough topographic mapset can be loaded into it for a good week's worth of hiking/hunting, or, with the appropriate "Fishing Hotspots" mapset, for a week's worth of fishing right where you wanna be. It too will interface with a 'puter, though I've really only done that a couple times, and then just 'cause I could Mr. Green

Somethin' I really use the E-Tex for a lot is markin' where I've parked my truck - whether in the deepwoods or at a shopping center ... real handy to know exactly where you left your transportation, and how to get right back to it :wink:

Now there are combination GMRS Radios/GPS units, Cellphone/GPS units, and combination Fish Finders/GPS Units, but I'm satisfied with the setup I've already got; if I drop one item into the lake, I still have the others Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:38 am
CAP Bobs has some really snappy units for marine use thaat theeyve finally thought to completion. They now attach the plotter to a 2 GPS sonde unit (WAS is difficult out at sea so it uses the old differential correction) Also the radar is hooked . AAs we used to say on boats
GPS is only good to tell you where to find your wreckage. Now with the radar and sonar and all hooked into one, you have an accurate Info Center in the pilot house.
We travel over the deeper waters around Gulf of Maine, and Fundy, sso anything to staay aalive is mighty appreciated

I use the Garmin e trex 76 to calculate areas for field work on recon trips into prospect areas. I get a cc of thhe original claim filings and relocate myself . The e-trex is a good ole boy and unlike the mapping units you dont need a pouch to carry it.
0 Replies