A warning: Christmas leftovers can kill pets

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
Last Update: Monday, December 27, 2004. 10:21am (AEDT)
RSPCA issues Christmas leftovers warning

The RSPCA is warning pet owners that some Christmas leftovers can kill animals.

The organisation's director of veterinary services, Ann Covill, says just 50 grams of chocolate can kill a dog.

She says it is important pets are fed the correct food despite the temptation to give them treats over the festive season.

"There's a number of things we take and eat quite veraciously at this time of year that can actually have devastating effects on our pets and even kill some of them," she said.

"Some of those are chocolate and macadamia nuts, onions, things like that that we often take for granted, we have to stop and think about at this time of year."

`
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 21
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 07:02 pm
I realize that most A2K pet owners don't need this warning, but I thought I'd post it anyway, just in case ....
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:04 pm
Thanks, msolga, for thinking of others (as you often do)... It is a temptation to give the fur people some of our special treats. A better plan is to visit the pet shop for some treats especially for them.

We planned waffles for Christmas breakfast, and I found a "Roffle" at the pet store for my doggie -- it looked and smelled like a people-waffle with syrup, but was made of doggie-friendly ingredients. We all had a fine time.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:13 pm
Thanks, msolga.

Did anyone else have problems with their pets feeling confused, left out, wondering what the heck was going on Christmas morning?

Our beagle, Gracie, came into the family room with us, looked around and chose a seat next to Bear. She sat there and watched the presents being distributed and started looking very sad when nothing was placed in front of her. She then jumped down and started to leave the room.

I went to her cabinet and got her some bones, and we took turns paying attention to her as we opened gifts, but I had never noticed this behavior before. (she's now 3)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:14 pm
Thanks for the message. I never give my pets table scraps any time of the year.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:16 pm
A Roffle, Wy ... I like that!

But sometimes people do such silly things! Like my sister, who I saw feeding her little dog a cooked chicken wing at Christmas dinner. This, despite her son warning her, me warning her .... You've got to wonder, sometimes. If her dog had gotten a brittle chicken bone lodged in her throat my sister would have been completely distraught. Go figure ...... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:16 pm
Thanks for the reminder MsOlga. We had gifts for the dogs (and cats).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:18 pm
And I'll bet they enjoyed them, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
they did, but they were confused as to which ones belonged to which dog. They all got squeaky toys
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:21 pm
squinney wrote:
Thanks, msolga.

Did anyone else have problems with their pets feeling confused, left out, wondering what the heck was going on Christmas morning?

Our beagle, Gracie, came into the family room with us, looked around and chose a seat next to Bear. She sat there and watched the presents being distributed and started looking very sad when nothing was placed in front of her. She then jumped down and started to leave the room.

I went to her cabinet and got her some bones, and we took turns paying attention to her as we opened gifts, but I had never noticed this behavior before. (she's now 3)

Poor Gracie, feeling left out! Laughing
I think she was pregnant, wasn't she, squinney?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:22 pm
littlek wrote:
they did, but they were confused as to which ones belonged to which dog. They all got squeaky toys

All at once? A cacophony! Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:39 pm
Ah, yes, the Sunday morning front yard "incident." Evidently she didn't "catch."

Bear told her that was why she didn't get any presents. No speagles, no gifts!

The vet, who owns Gus, called Christmas eve to ask if there were puppies. Told him no and he said when she comes in heat again (March) he'll bring Gus over.

Gracie didn't look too thrilled about that either! She's probably thinking this has been the worst weekend of her life. Little does she know will happen in the Spring! (Whoo-hoo! happy Mothers Day!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:41 pm
This wasn't Gracie's weekend - you're right, squinney!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:47 pm
Ahh, now I feel bad. I have to go cuddle with her! Goodnight.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:48 pm
Night, squinney. Night, Gracey. Very Happy
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
Turkey skin and fat is VERY dangerous for dogs as well. It's known to cause acute pancreatis. Please do not give this to your dogs even if you have in the past w/o ill side effects.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:33 am
I shared my egg nog and myers rum with gracie and she seemed to calm right down.....I'm her favorite....
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:06 am
Truthfully, folks, most of these warnings are overblown. Although I certainly don't recommend table scraps for pets, I am equally aware that most pet owners will succumb to temptation at some time or another. Chocolate can be toxic, but generally only to toy-sized dogs, and then in pretty large amounts. Like all substances, dosage is figured on a "per-pound" basis. Any high-fat diet can contribute to pancreatitis, but I'd hate to say I can blame any single cause for any individual case I've seen. The worst cases I have seen in thirty years have been some pretty severe diarrhea, but all of these have responded well to Immodium and/or Kaopectate. I allow my own dog to follow one of my simple guidelines: "Moderation in all things, including moderation!" Happy New Year to all of you, and your pets!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:32 am
I respectfully disagree. That is not true that small dosages will not affect large dogs. I am not a vet but I have worked in a clinic for several years, and know you can not predict the reaction in dosage that your dog will have a reaction to chocolate, onions, grapes/raisins (another toxic food for dogs), etc.

I've seen toy dogs who ate an entire bag of chocolate and did okay and a big dog who only ate one piece and came minutes from dying from cardiac arrhythmias and seizures. Then I have seen a few die from food poisoning as certain foods will attack their red blood cells.

Why would anyone chance that or say it's okay to treat your dog to unhealthy and possible dangerous foods ...just don't do it often to lower your chances. Sad
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:10 am
I had a lab who got into a bag of M& Ms AND a bag of speed back in the seventies while my wife and I were at the movies....when we came home the house was covered in dog **** and I mean literally five feet up the walls...it looked like someone turned on a poop firehose...and the dog was running into walls and howling...all the time looking embarassed and distressed simultaneously.....we were so high we gave her half a quaalude and within a few minutes she was out like a light...I don't recommend that kind of thing and I'm not bragging about it but now, 29 years later.....and the dog lived another 6or 7 years and died comfortably of natural causes...it's a really funny story.....
0 Replies