RIP Tom Petty, 66...

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 02:09 pm
Quote:
Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers,
is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not
breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital
and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group
put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Free Fallin'," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her
Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Though Petty and his band debuted their first self-titled record in 1976, they continued to
perform over the past four decades. Petty played his last show last Monday, performing three
sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl to conclude their 40th anniversary tour. The band wrote
on their website that the tour included 53 shows in 24 states.

In December, Petty told Rolling Stone that he thought this would be the group's last tour
together. He said, "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour?
I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're
all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can.
I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With
a little kid, that's a lot of time."
(cbsnews)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,130 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 02:35 pm
They're dropping like flies, fercrissakes. Rock and roll kills! Perhaps it's something about that quest for eternal youth, huh?

May he RIP. Loved his music.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 02:37 pm
Thanks for the tunes. RIP
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 02:56 pm
I am very sorry to hear this. He and some friends spoke--sang of this--once't:

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 03:07 pm
@Setanta,
I was just about to post that one. The only two left are Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne.

Here's one with Stevie Nicks:
Seizan

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 03:50 pm
1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate -- the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. handled the emergency.

Note -- this was just released by TMZ. It may be old news already, don't know your time zone... -- Seizan
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 04:13 pm
@jespah,
You'd better tell that to their (very famous session) drummer Jim Keltner who is very much alive.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 04:26 pm
@Seizan,
Aw, dammit, whether it is a near death situation or his actual death; I hope he clings..if he can come out of it, which sounds like a no.

Tangent, of interest to none or few but me - I worked or was a patient in each of the major hospitals in the Westwood/Santa Monica area. What is now UCLA Santa Monica Hospital was where I had my tonsils out at age seven, followed at some point by ice cream, probably vanilla and not chocolate, sigh, if I noticed, at the then Santa Monica Hospital. I even miss the hospitals.

For Tom, thank you very much for your music.
jespah

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 04:40 pm
@Ragman,
Ooops - my apologies! I had seen him in the videos but didn't know his name.
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 04:47 pm
@jespah,
NP. No one seems to remember the drummer unless they're celebs (like Ringo). To most he's not a visible celebrity so people focus on the others.

He's on so many hits ...typically session drumming for a lot West Coast R&R. Joe Cocker Orly Simon. As refresher, as an example he's on Steve Miller's The Joker.
Seizan

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 04:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah -- I would rather take the 10% chance of recovery than a zero%...
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:04 pm
@Seizan,
"Petty was found unconscious at his home not breathing and in full cardiac arrest on Monday, October 2, 2017. Initial reports indicated that he had died, but they were later retracted as his death could not be confirmed by the Los Angeles Police Department."
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:08 pm
@Ragman,
I remember some drummers but by now I'm a foggy oldie. Which is late - I was expecting it earlier, apparently serious Alz family on my mother's side, so I was worried about it early on. (Boston, that was the problem, they were all from around Boston).

Hey, I did remember Gato Barbieri, Sax, so not the answer.
I do remember names a fair part of the time, but some bunch of them tend to show up a little late, drummers or anyone. I'll peer, grasping, and then, sooner or later, snap!
So far, so good.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 07:23 pm
I don't think Petty's dead, just FYI.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/business/media/tom-petty-cardiac-arrest.html
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 08:15 pm
@Lash,
He was apparantly taken off life support because there is no brain function.

His body, off life support, is still alive.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/tom-pettys-death-erroneously-reported-singer-still-in-hospital
Lash

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 08:15 pm
@chai2,
That's what I understand, too.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 10:29 pm
@Ragman,
This is terrible news, I’ve seen Tom Petty in concert only 3 times and I thought they were getting ready to tour in my area within the next 8 months. But that’s selfish of me, I at least saw him perform....it was wonderful....Rest in Peace Tom, you will be sorely missed.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 12:02 am
Sorry everyone. He's gone...

From Rolling Stones Magazine, just in:
~~~~~

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was 66. Petty's death was confirmed by Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, on behalf of the family.

"On behalf of the Tom Petty family, we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends," Dimitriades wrote.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:01 am
That's a bloody shame.
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:08 am
@izzythepush,
It is. He was a fine man.