Who is the Holy Spirit?

peacecrusader888

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 06:47 pm
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
Though many have been taught this the Bible shows that the holy spirit is not a person or part of a trinity, but God's power. An example of this is found at Acts 2:1-4. Notably the pont is found in verse 4 where each person was filled with holy spirit. After which they were given the ability to speak in the various languages of the peoples present at the festival of Pentecost.

The Holy Trinity is not a mystery anymore

The spirit of Ama and I had a conversation about the Trinity. This is how it went:

Aristeo Fernando: Ama, what is the meaning of Jesus Christ sitting at the right hand of God?
Ama: To His right.
Aristeo: Is that to His right?
Ama: Yes.
Aristeo: Aren't they only one? Jesus Christ, He is that God. Why will He say to His right?
Ama: Right. Right. Because there is God the Father.
Aristeo: Isn't God the Father, He is also Jesus Christ?
Ama: Good. That is right. But they were made into three: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It is only one but they were made into three.
Aristeo: Ama, You are that God the Holy Spirit, aren't You? You are also Jesus whose spirit lived in the physical body of what we call Jesus Christ. Is that correct?
Ama: Good. For example, you, your child said "Daddy, please buy me a dress." Then your daughter said, "Daddy, please buy me a dress." You don't have sufficient money to buy for the two. You will ask yourself, who will you buy immediately? Who is that? Question. Isn't it that it is you yourself? Who did you ask? Isn't it that it is you yourself? Who said that it is that child you have to buy immediately? Isn't it that it is you yourself? Then you are three.

The one who decided is God the Father. The one who asked the question, God the Son. The Holy Spirit, who is it? That is the answer. You are three but you are only one.

(For Filipinos, this conversation is at http://aristean.org/transcript006.htm titled "Paliwanag tungkol sa Trinity".) (From 1999-04-25)

If Jesus was crucified during the Passover Festival, do you think that when He ascended to Heaven, it was Pentecost as stated in Acts 2:1? When He ascended to Heaven, it was on the eve of the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkoth).
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 06:40 am
@peacecrusader888,
Hey peacecrusader888, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been away. But to address your point, and excuse me if this is a bit lengthy but it does lend to giving a clearer use of the term he when Jesus referred to the Holy spirit.

When Jesus used the term "he" when speaking of the holy spirit he used a figure of speech called personification, that is, referring to something impersonal or inanimate as if it were alive. In the Scriptures, it is not unusual for something that is not actually a person to be personified. Some examples are wisdom, death, sin, and undeserved kindness. (Mt 11:19; Lu 7:35; Ro 5:14, 17, 21; 6:12; 7:8-11)

It is obvious that not one of these things is an actual person. God’s spirit is often mentioned together with other impersonal forces or things, further supporting the fact that it is not a person. (Mt 3:11; Ac 6:3, 5; 13:52; 2Co 6:4-8; Eph 5:18) Now some argue that the use of Greek masculine pronouns when referring to this “helper” shows that holy spirit is a person. (Joh 14:26) However, Greek grammar requires masculine pronouns when the activity of “the helper” is described, since the word for “helper” is in the masculine gender. (Joh 16:7, 8, 13, 14) On the other hand, when the neuter Greek word for “spirit” (pneuʹma) is used, neuter pronouns are used.

Thus when Jesus statement is considered in it's proper context along with the rest of Scripture it is clear that the holy spirit is not a person anymore than wisdom, sin, death are persons.
peacecrusader888

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 05:29 pm
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
Hey peacecrusader888, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been away. But to address your point, and excuse me if this is a bit lengthy but it does lend to giving a clearer use of the term he when Jesus referred to the Holy spirit.

When Jesus used the term "he" when speaking of the holy spirit he used a figure of speech called personification, that is, referring to something impersonal or inanimate as if it were alive. In the Scriptures, it is not unusual for something that is not actually a person to be personified. Some examples are wisdom, death, sin, and undeserved kindness. (Mt 11:19; Lu 7:35; Ro 5:14, 17, 21; 6:12; 7:8-11)

It is obvious that not one of these things is an actual person. God’s spirit is often mentioned together with other impersonal forces or things, further supporting the fact that it is not a person. (Mt 3:11; Ac 6:3, 5; 13:52; 2Co 6:4-8; Eph 5:18) Now some argue that the use of Greek masculine pronouns when referring to this “helper” shows that holy spirit is a person. (Joh 14:26) However, Greek grammar requires masculine pronouns when the activity of “the helper” is described, since the word for “helper” is in the masculine gender. (Joh 16:7, 8, 13, 14) On the other hand, when the neuter Greek word for “spirit” (pneuʹma) is used, neuter pronouns are used.

Thus when Jesus statement is considered in it's proper context along with the rest of Scripture it is clear that the holy spirit is not a person anymore than wisdom, sin, death are persons.

Since you know Greek, is Satan male or female (Revelation 12:7-9)?
0 Replies