WE SEEM TO BE INVOLVED IN A MANDATORY RETIREMENT FUND

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:13 am
**We can't refuse it - we are given no choice about it - our government reps act in any way they see fit - AND - even though it's highly likely we will not receive any income from this investment - if we don't pay into it we may go to jail.
**SOCIAL SECURITY AND CORPORATE SCANDAL
August 22, 2002
*In a recent letter to the editor appearing in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, David Ruffley Mullineux compares the Enron and WorldCom scandals with Social Security. Mullineux ponders if the only real difference between these corporate scandals and Social Security is that "in order to lose your money in two of these scams, you actually had a choice about whether to risk it or not." The letter follows:

*There IS an investment for which there is no choice.
*When I was 19 years old, a representative from a mutual retirement plan approached me and asked to me contribute to his fund. I advised him that I planned on investing in my retirement, but I wanted to do some comparison-shopping. He informed me that he represented a unique fund and that participation was mandatory. In fact, if I did not participate, he assured me I would be prosecuted, fined and possibly sent to jail. Since that time, he has made arrangements for my contributions to this mutual retirement fund to be removed from my paycheck by every employer I have ever worked for.

*In recent years, I have observed the "managers" of this fund, on television, meeting in Washington, D.C. Half the fund managers are convinced that the program will be devoid of money & essentially
bankrupt long before I am scheduled to retire in 2032. However,
despite the almost certainty that I will not receive any benefits whatsoever, they still insist that I send my contributions on a monthly basis, unless I want to be prosecuted, fined or possibly jailed.

*So what heinous organized scam of epic proportions did I get myself involved in, you ask? Enron? WorldCom? No. The name of the fund I
am still paying into, with a virtual guarantee of bankruptcy before maturity, is called SOCIAL SECURITY.
*It is kind of like Enron and WorldCom, except the board of director
is at least honest enough to tell me up front that I will never see a
return on my investment.
*Imagine what would happen if this scheme were perpetrated by
the private sector. Outrage? Congressional hearings? Media frenzy?
Jail for the perpetrators?
*Isn't the only difference between Enron, WorldCom and Social
Security the fact that in order to lose all your money in two of these scams, you actually had a choice about whether to risk it or not?
*But let's take heart in the knowledge that the board of directors
of my defunct fund is now going to divert its significant fiscal acumen
to righting the wrongs of corporations foisting fraudulent economic activities upon the general public.

I guess the lunatics have decided that they are indeed qualified to enter into the business of asylum management.

IT MAKES ME THINK OF HENRY DAVID THOREAU ON THE TOPIC OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE : "That government is best which governs least.
The government itself which is only the mode which the people have chosen, to execute THEIR WILL, is equally liable to be abused and perverted before the people can act THROUGH IT!!!!
The American government, what is it but a tradition, though a recent
one, endeavoring to transmit itself unimpaired to posterity but each
instant losing some of its integrity. It has not the vitality and force of
a single living man; for a single living man can bend it to his will.
*It is a sort of wooden gun to the people themselves. But it is not
the less necessary for this; for the people must have some complicated machinery or other, and hear its din, to satisfy that idea of government which they have. Governments show thus how successfully men can be imposed upon, even impose on themselves for their own advantage."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 2
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 07:02 am
I thought you had retired. Are you still paying into Social Security?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 05:31 pm
No actually retired and disabled are 2 different things. and since I'm disabled yes I do continue to pay in to SS, until I hit retirement
age, just comes out of my SS Disability
0 Replies