Let Them Eat Swiss/Americans Boycott French Cheesemaker

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:41 am
Quote:
Americans Snub French Cheese Exporter, Who Shrugs
Thu Feb 13,10:27 AM ET

PARIS (Reuters) - A Frenchman who sells cheese over the Internet has seen his inbox fill up with e-mails from disgruntled Americans this week.

They are more than happy with his Camembert, but not with his government's policy on Iraq.

"Pam and I have enjoyed ordering from you in the past," read one e-mail to fromages.com co-founder Marc Refabert. "(But) because of the current position your government is taking on not supporting the U.S. at this time regarding Iraq, we are not going to support France in any way. ... We are sorry."

Orders are slipping from the key U.S. market, which accounts for 80 percent of fromages.com's business. But just as the French government is unmoved by U.S. criticism of its unwillingness to back war against Iraq, so Refabert is shrugging off the boycott.

"It's their way of showing their patriotism. Good for them," he said. "We've decided not to reply to the e-mails. What good would it do? I'm not a politician. ... But you've got to be adult. I don't think it's a very well thought-through reaction."

Refabert said he thinks American customers won't be able to maintain the boycott for too long because French cheese tastes too good.

"It's just temporary. They'll come back in two or three months."

What to you think of boycotting French products? Do you think that a boycott will last? Do you think that a boycott of French products is an effective way of Americans showing disgust with the French position on Iraq?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 17
No top replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:46 am
Well, maybe the protesters hope that the French export goods manufacturers and traders will pressurize their government into being more flexible in its relations with the USA? By all means, it is possible to eat Swiss and Dutch cheeses in meantime, and to drink Spanish, Italian and Californian wines.
BTW, I stopped buying French and Belgian goods as well (I cannot make myself to boycott Germany, since my own ethnic origin is half-German). If I buy something imported, I give preferrence to the U.S. and British production.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:54 am
Phoenix

Things could get rather tricky if the French reciprocated by showing their disgust at Bush's attitude toward Iraq! And imagine if all the people on the planet who feel strongly about the prospect of war boycotted US products! I imagine it wouldn't do wonders for the US economy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:59 am
Msolga- You have a practical point, but I doubt very much that other nations would boycott US goods, to the extent that it would make any real difference in our economy. We are too important and entrenched in the marketplace, IMO, for that to happen.

I have always felt that boycotting was a sensible, rational way to exhibit a stand on a particular issue. I certainly prefer boycotting to rowdy demonstrations.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:09 am
But maybe the French have a relevant position on war with Iraq? Maybe it's identical or similar to the position of many governments & peoples? There was a massive anti-war rally in Melbourne (Australia) this afternoon. This, despite what our Prime Minister has been saying on behalf of all Australians. All polls show we are overwhelmingly opposed to military intervention in Iraq. So should Australian products be boycotted, too, as a punitive measure? As I said, these things can be very tricky.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:15 am
with a sense of irony, if the anti-war folks in the US were a bit more creative they might boycot american cheese in favor of french.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:17 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:17 am
dyslexia

What an original idea! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:24 am
... But you've got to be adult. I don't think it's a very we
We (Americans) have always permitted europe to define maturity and Refabert indicates this is an immature reaction. Fine, but I do not deal with outfits that do not return phone calls or answer emails.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:28 am
And Bush & co. could figure out a creative way of punishing the Australian people, while rewarding the Australian government! (I wish I could think of a cheese policy to do this! Very Happy )
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:50 am
I don't buy french products since the Muroroa atomic tests done by the french. should have started to boycott them a long time ago of y'all ask me!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:07 am
In My view we should have been boycotting France and French products ever since De Gaule and his anti-American policies. The French have never accepted the fact that they are a second rate power. They think their ----- don't stink.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:28 am
Hey bigdice! I think somebody just knicked your signature line.

Laughing
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:32 am
Why should Australian goods be boycotted, for God's sake? Australians may express their opinion, but their government did not do anything to disrupt the U.S. plans, on the contrary, Mr. Howard renders full support to the U.S. effort to replace Saddam with someone more predictable and more pro-Western.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
"Anti-war sentiment

A new survey shows a majority of the Swiss coming out against military strikes in Iraq.
Forty per cent of those interviewed said United States-led attacks were under no circumstances a legitimate option.
A further 55 per cent made their approval dependent on a United Nations mandate.
Two per cent are in favour of an unconditional war against the Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein.
The poll also found that 57 per cent of the Swiss reject US policy and its values.
The survey is based on interviews with 1,000 people conducted during the second half of January.

swissinfo"

The Swiss government will say 'nothing', since Switzerland is traditionary neutral.

However, using this kind of logic, US-catholics should be banned as well.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:55 am
And that's not counting that some of Bin Laden's funders surely have their money in Swiss banks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:59 am
And others are investing in US-American industry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:59 am
And others are investing in US-American industry.
0 Replies