Cloning your pet

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it on the news, but it is real.

You can now clone your pet!!! WOW!!!

Now, this may be in the wrong forum, possibility the religion forum, but I think it merits discussion.

Clone Fido Here

This should get all or the RRRs out in full force. I know a law was passed which made it illegal to clone humans, but this is just a glimpse into the future of genetics.

Unfreaking believable. . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:48 pm
According to this, animals have been cloned since 1952:Cloning Fact Sheet

By the way, I would not clone a pet .......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:34 pm
I have no problems with cloning of pets............I am still up in the air about cloning of humans. I think that a lot more research and investigation needs to be done, before human cloning is even considered.

Quote:
The first cloned-to-order pet sold in the United States is named Little Nicky, a 9-week-old kitten delivered to a Texas woman saddened by the loss of a cat she had owned for 17 years.

The kitten cost its owner $50,000 and was created from DNA from her beloved cat, named Nicky, who died last year.

"He is identical. His personality is the same," the owner, Julie, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. Although she agreed to be photographed with her cat, she asked that her last name and hometown not be disclosed because she said she fears being targeted by groups opposed to cloning.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQAAAKscGysmJrhh6PUbtOfGNaVzh*!!zJYP*0t8LW38cz3DLqpwhTOgGIL7J6DwvGJeEN8IJxdoLnTt7UlW5HV1XuiZMq!JCtHf4MPA4rUd7DkQfl07ld1ULE!W0j4YngLHVfWntGY/cat%20clone.jpg

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041223/D875G10G0.html

What a gorgeous kitty!
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:37 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
According to this, animals have been cloned since 1952:Cloning Fact Sheet

Yea, but you couldn't go down to the local DNA store, walk up to the counter and say "Hey, Fido was my best friend and I want him back!!" and in 6 months (or what ever the gestation time is) have a brand new exact copy of Fido.

I think this is a breakthrough period in society. Manipulation of the genome for human benifit shows the first stages of exhibiting "god-like" behavior in a species. We can now create life, and soon, we will probably be able to modify it to our liking. I actually think this is an incredible tool.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:39 pm
Joe Republican- Your thread asked if a person would clone a pet if it were cheaper. The kitty whose pics that I posted cost $50,000. Well, if we wait a few years, the price will come down, like HDTV sets! Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:13 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Joe Republican- Your thread asked if a person would clone a pet if it were cheaper. The kitty whose pics that I posted cost $50,000. Well, if we wait a few years, the price will come down, like HDTV sets! Laughing

That's what I'm hoping for Smile Laughing
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:33 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have no problems with cloning of pets............I am still up in the air about cloning of humans. I think that a lot more research and investigation needs to be done, before human cloning is even considered.

I love my pets. I also love a lot of human beings.

Presuming that you also love your pets, you have no problem in cloning them yet you write you do have a problem in cloning human beings.

I realize we eat meat, but we are not talking about that now. We are talking about a friend really. Isn't that what a pet is to you?

Please share why you feel that it is okay to clone your pet friend and not your human friend. Thank you.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 11:37 pm
Considering how many unwanted cats and dogs I have to euthanize at our local animal shelter, I have a lot of trouble believing that the cloning of pets is necessary or desirable. As was stated earlier in this thread, there is certainly no guarantee that the clone will be identical to the original pet, anyway. I can only see applicability in the livestock industry, where a desirable genetic aberration could be quickly distributed through the population, rather than relying on selective breeding, which can take many generations to become widespread in the industry. The moral issues are entirely different, and I will remain neutral at this time. By the way, my vote would be that I would never consider cloning my dog, in spite of how much I may care for her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:25 am
Cow Doc wrote:
Considering how many unwanted cats and dogs I have to euthanize at our local animal shelter, I have a lot of trouble believing that the cloning of pets is necessary or desirable.

No, it is not necesary, but I believe that people have the right to the pet that they want. By your logic, one could extrapolate that couples should not have their own children, until all the kids in foster care, or those waiting for adoption, have homes.

Forever Young wrote:
Please share why you feel that it is okay to clone your pet friend and not your human friend. Thank you.

I think that the technology is sophisticated enough that it is viable to clone pets. Human beings are another situation entirely. There are many ethical and medical ramifications involved when we consider the cloning of humans.

First of all I never said that it was not ok to clone humans. What I said was:

Quote:
I think that a lot more research and investigation needs to be done, before human cloning is even considered.

I think that cloning humans is a very serious step, and we need to think through all the possibilities and pitfalls, before we venture down that road. My point is that we should not dismiss the idea altogether, as many have done.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

I think that the technology is sophisticated enough that it is viable to clone pets. Human beings are another situation entirely. There are many ethical and medical ramifications involved when we consider the cloning of humans.

First of all I never said that it was not ok to clone humans. What I said was:

Quote:
I think that a lot more research and investigation needs to be done, before human cloning is even considered.

I think that cloning humans is a very serious step, and we need to think through all the possibilities and pitfalls, before we venture down that road. My point is that we should not dismiss the idea altogether, as many have done.

I understand your point about not dismissing the idea of cloning human beings and apologize that my original post obfuscated that fact. I have a real problem with cloning anything for reasons other than those already listed by CowDoc, but, then again, I also realize that in many ways I prefer to live in the 19th century. Sad, but true. Gimme a horse 'n buggy already! :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQCXAvcfCmecbl8AQfqUSVTE!umXlbdalEfaD5XVdblDpwbqA91XsFBG1Tz!RC7Cv6BphkHPKfVLtoQQ09zEKoeBwvXC*5RVw*J5T!pNPBoEm5fQftBM0ncelEqXhR1St52MKsucP!fNOEP2cnK3hA/Horse%2520and%2520Buggy.jpg

How 'bout this one, FY????
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:51 am
LOL ... that's quite elegant, isn't it? But, sure, it's got a horse attached, so, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

chriso

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:56 pm
Where do you go to get your pets cloned, and what do you need?
0 Replies

chriso

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:04 pm
Where can you get your pet cloned, how much, and what do you need?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
Sorry it is too bizarre for me. Makes me think of Pet Cemetery and you know what happened to their pet in that book.

And besides the creepy thoughts of it, I agree with CowDoc. There are so many unwanted animals, I feel it is better to adopt one that is here now and in need of some one to care and love it.

Personally I don’t think you can compare pets to children so an analogy to cloning and adopting really doesn’t apply between the two.
0 Replies

Mrs Scientist

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:31 am
Cloning pets
Being a scientist myself and understanding the consequences of cloning animals, I just feel that it is ridiculous that anyone would want to clone their pets. Just like someone already has posted, there are far too many homeless animals that get put down because animal shelters are too full, we don't need any more cloned animals on this earth. There is proof already that cloned animals live shorter and have many more health problems, plus a cloned pet will never be truly identical to the lost pet since the environment has just as much impact on behaviour and phenotype as do genes. SO, I just think that cloning animals and probably humans eventually is just appalling and I wish that everyone could see it as I do.
0 Replies