Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 09:32 am
I've been maneuvering my wretched old Safari browser, oy vey, and gradually getting past giant black blobs and weird shapes. I managed by last evening to be able to read a2k but not to post. But... now I can, knock on wood.

I'm still deciding, but I think I want a brand new iMac, for the pleasure of it.
Not sure if I want a laptop or desktop. I can pay first with payments and then by dragging in some new income. I've been lallygagging about that for too long.

Thanks to Diane for all her help, and thanks to Glitterbag for her thread on this, and hi, Izzy, I got your pm re the apple torte...

Jo (osso)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 24
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 10:25 am
@ossobucotemp,
yippee!

(football picks are looking for you ... Smile )
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 10:42 am
Oh good.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 12:27 pm
Great news!
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 01:41 pm
Thanks, John!
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
I forgot to add that Firefox dropped me too, for the usual reason, too old my computer. I happen to like Firefox, cough.

I have an even older computer in the workroom closet - one of those early macs that is a lovely dark blue and of course doesn't work now. I think I need to align my creative/artistic abilities and idiocy, and play with what to do with that computer shell, for fun.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Can you repurpose it as a planter? That's what they used the old IBM System 36 for.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:46 pm
Continuing my ramble: I've decided to grow up and be reasonable, thus purchasing a refurbished Microsoft system instead of an immaculate iMac charmer.

Diane has relaid to me messages about all this on facebook, and I'm going to give in after all these years and years and join the damned website. So many wrote best wishes, offered advice, and, unusual for A2K, were sans any nasty stuff, when even I know I've been short or pissed off at times myself.

I have avoided joining - not because I don't want to get messages from old friends - but because my interest may likely take me to never getting up from the computer chair, once we got started. So my avoidance has been a kind of self preservation.

In the last week or two I did hear from two old friends, and this is not usual, my not being on FB. One is dear to me, but I'm hard of hearing and have snagged in trying to figure what she said fast; I'll follow up and see if I can find her. The other worked at a long time ago lab that I also did. The crew there, including me, weren't all keen on the boss. I didn't instigate, but related, as the staff was uniformly good.. and I should know, over the years.

She called my ex husband's number, remembering his last name, and he called me. He and I remain connected friends, long story/no rancor left, or much in the first place. I basically robbed the cradle, and I understand his changes. He gave her my phone number, but no call yet.

Maybe this is coincidence, most likely, or maybe people are looking around, re who is there.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:58 pm
@roger,
I sort of think not, but I haven't dragged it out of the closet lately to even look at.
There may be a way, and plants could be interesting.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 11:21 pm
Welcome back, kid.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 01:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2011/06/251571,xcitefun-welcome-back-2.gif
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 01:28 pm
And, to get to an important matter, George and CoastalRat need your picks in the NFL games for Sunday and Monday. You can post them here if you want. I will pass them on.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 02:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Even finding how to reply here is a trick. I've lost several posts by me.
No chance of my thinking football this week when I"m using antique safari or some miserable present one because of my mac, or, more likely, that I can't access anything useful between all the giant blobs.
I hope next week will go better than this one.

The good news - new computer on its way. There will be a learning period. I haven't used microsoft since 2005. I'll probably need to look at some books in a store, of the Dummie sort.

Many thanks to Diane for her major major help.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 02:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
I can't handle football quite yet, reaching craziness in other ways, although things are looking up.

Snort - I can't access useful sites: using my computer is a mix of sticky taffy making and either antique Safari Browser, or present nutso Safari. Nothin' but cramped typed words in hard to discern order, mediated by giant blobs or recognizable birdies. There may be a 3rd decent Safari that can't get here from there.

Good news: I have a friend named Diane, and so do others here. Anyway, salvation is at hand, although the denoument may take a while
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:30 am
@ossobucotemp,
you dont need to reintroduce us to people we already know. My HD didnt crash.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:35 am
@ossobucotemp,
I'm a bit stressed out about Wembley stadium, we're playing Slovenia on 5th October and there's gridiron **** all over the pitch.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 11:31 am
@ossobucotemp,
Glad to see your back. Hope you find your permanent fix. I understand that it's on the way. Welcome back.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:26 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm still posting, or trying to, today, on the wildly obsolescent iMac. Schniff, I will miss it despite this episodic misery making. Last but not least, I go though a couple of pages of what is shown at the entire article titles for The Guardian or BBC in small type before I can access an article, at last. Beyond annoying, into Dante's Purgatorio.

Can't see LA Times or NYT and so on, because of mac being obsolete (nice they tell me). That's not sarcastic, I'm glad they tell me. Not so obsolete that I can't get to bbc or guardian.

Meantime, I've told in a post here what is going on with the timing delay, but don't remember where I posted that, and searching in this odd situation isn't as easy as usual (see above) ~~~~ so, I'll write what is going on as of today, though some may have already seen it.

The new computer is here, at Diane's house; she did the ordering, having a working computer. The big and heavy package came, and she can't lift it, and she is stronger than I am, muscle wise. We didn't expect it to be such a big lug affair. (I remember my getting my mac into my house easily.) So, we've our friend Michael to help, and he's coming tomorrow.

Meantime, I've been cleaning up my work room, not so much to make it clean as to get things out of the way so Michael has room to deal with carrying the heavy package through. This has resulted in the room being in nicer shape than for some years. I do have an old dolly in the garage, but the tires have been flat for a decade... I have a tire pump, if he wants - but he's very strong as it is.

Or maybe he can just open it, and separate the parts; Diane didn't want to get into doing that, and I don't blame her.

More revelry to come....
Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 04:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You're getting there. A little at a time it's happening and in less than a fortnight you'll be posting away, same as before. Glad you have Diane and Michael helping.

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 11:52 am
@Sturgis,
Hi, folks. I had a bad day at black rock with the refurbished computer - not even using it, just putting the components together. I'm back to buying an iMac. Right now I'm holding the antique Mac together with wishes and promises, which are working about 10% or less of the time - thus my iffy posting. Pages and pages go by before I can see an article. It's almost funny.

Sending the Microsoft computer back is another task, but there are a few weeks left for that.

I've been learning a lot in my workroom, which has a continual aura of aggravation (no directions at all with it, combined with the heaviness of it) mixed with me gradually changing my mind. Turns out Walmart does the used computer stuff too, including iMac, so I'll look into that --- but first plan on calling the Mac Store re payment issues for an actual new Mac. I gather they have "classes" too, on Mac usage, which couldn't hurt.

My sense if humor is markedly improving.
Time to relax and bake some peanut butter cookies.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Testing if I can post
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:56:44