Octopus Cities

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 04:56 am
Biologists Just Discovered an Underwater Octopus City And They're Calling It Octlantis

https://www.sciencealert.com/marine-biologists-discover-an-underwater-octopus-city-they-re-calling-octlantis

Blickers

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:01 am
@edgarblythe,
For quite a few years scientists have looked at cephalopods' hunting tactics and concluded they are a lot smarter than previously thought. When hunting around rocks, for instance, they feint with one tentacle, not really trying to capture the prey but to chase it to a predetermined spot where another tentacle is all set to grab it. The ol' one-two gets 'em every time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Interesting article.

There have been stories indicating they were fairly intelligent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 01:57 pm
I become more impressed with them every time I read about them. I like the fact some of them are, after all, a bit social.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 06:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Biologists Just Discovered an Underwater Octopus City And They're Calling It Octlantis

Octopolis sounds better. But I guess they really wanted to get Atlantis in there somehow.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2017 12:53 am
The inchoate feel the cost of an unoctopied pod in the big city sucks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Octopus_vulgaris_Cuvier%2C_1797_2.jpg/220px-Octopus_vulgaris_Cuvier%2C_1797_2.jpg
0 Replies