Cell Phone Location

whereru

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
I have a question about tracing a cell phone call. I didn't think tracing the location of a cell phone call was possible yet. Can it still be done if the GPS feature is set only to 911? I was told that if that feature was off, the physical location could not be traced. How true is this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,297 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:19 pm
A cell phone can still be tracked to a general area even without the GPS feature enabled.

If teh phone is on it is constantly in contact with the service providers relay towers (any time you have a "in service" signal your phone is communicating with one or more relay sites).

The provider can calculate your approximate location based on which relay sites your phone is connecting with. If your phone is connecting to 3 or more sites they can figure things to within a 1000 ft or so (assuming someone wanted to take the time to do the calculations) where the GPS feature can pinpoint you with 3 or 4 ft within a matter of seconds.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
Don't look now, but...

http://www.specialoperations.com/Aviation/Little_Birds/littlebird2.jpg
0 Replies

whereru

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
So what if I want to know the location of a call that was received at a specific time, but the that particular cell phone is turned off at all other times?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
It only appears to be turned off, Mister Anderson...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:30 pm
If you were a carrier you could search your switch access logs and see which relay sites were accessed to make the call and the signal strength readings from those sites and do the calculations and you'd know approx. where the person was when the call was made.

Once the phone is turned off they'd have no way of knowing where you went.
0 Replies

whereru

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:34 pm
I guess it would pretty much take an act of God to get that done???
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
Nah. Just a warrant signed by a judge. Very Happy

(They certianly aren't going to do it and give you any info if you just call up and ask them to.)
0 Replies

whereru

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:53 pm
I assume that unless they're serious death threats or something, the police won't be very interested...at least not enough to get a warrant? How long is that information available? I doubt all that info can be stored indefinately.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:07 pm
They already know it was you, Mister Anderson. It's only a matter of time until they pinpoint your location. There's no point in resisting... they'll go easier on you if you turn yourself in.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:08 pm
There would have to be some sort of legal action taking place - either a criminal investigation by the police or a civil suit (I think you can get a subpoena for evidence in a civil suit that would work).

The FCC requires all carriers to keep all records of call data for 3 years. How long they keep it after that is up to them.
0 Replies

SydneyPerson2005

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
They already know it was you, Mister Anderson. It's only a matter of time until they pinpoint your location. There's no point in resisting... they'll go easier on you if you turn yourself in.

is it just me or is this dude not answering questions and just being weird whats the point of joining a forum site if all your going to do do is make no sense no one is laughing its not funny
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
He's ok he's just a cheesehead, I am am evil, diabolical genius, oh wait thats Slappy, uh, carry on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
Ah, but SidneyPerson, the question was answered, wasn't it?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:34 pm
Should I also mention OB capitalizes and punctuates? Dare I ask how you know he doesn't make a few people laugh, and many smile?
0 Replies