Why are things the way they are....

cameronleon

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:16 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
...and not some other way?

Long time ago, in a discussion, one participant stated that any alien being from another planet visiting us must use mathematics for inventing machines in order to travel throughout space.

For him, there was no other way: numbers rule.

It happens that there are people who won't see numbers as numbers but as colors. They are capable to solve mathematical operations as fast as a computer. They can even use their way of interpreting quantities as they do with letters, and are capable of learning other languages very fluently.

With the existence of these people, who mix quantities as colors in their mind, the idea that numerical mathematics is the only way to reach a great technology is practically challenged and demonstrated as false.

If all humans were capable to interpret quantities as if they were mixed colors and solve complicated operations in seconds using the brain, perhaps we should be more advanced than we are today.

This is an example where the possibility that the universe "the way we see it" might be way different if we can perceive it in a different way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tammet

Tammet has been studied repeatedly by researchers in Britain and the United States, and has been the subject of several peer-reviewed scientific papers. Professor Allan Snyder at the Australian National University has said of him: "Savants can't usually tell us how they do what they do. It just comes to them. Daniel can describe what he sees in his head. That's why he's exciting. He could be the 'Rosetta Stone'."

In his mind, Tammet says, each positive integer up to 10,000 has its own unique shape, colour, texture and feel. He has described his visual image of 289 as particularly ugly, 333 as particularly attractive, and pi, though not an integer, as beautiful. The number 6 apparently has no distinct image yet what he describes as an almost small nothingness, opposite to the number 9 which he calls large, towering, and quite intimidating. He also describes the number 117 as "a handsome number. It's tall, it's a lanky number, a little bit wobbly". In his memoir, he describes experiencing a synaesthetic and emotional response for numbers and words.

He holds the European record for reciting pi from memory to 22,514 digits in five hours and nine minutes on 14 March 2004. He revealed in a French talk show on Radio Classique on 29 April 2016, that this event was the inspiration behind Kate Bush's song 'Pi' from her album Aerial.

He is a polyglot. In Born on a Blue Day, he writes that he knows ten languages: English, Finnish, French, German, Lithuanian, Esperanto, Spanish, Romanian, Icelandic, and Welsh. In Embracing the Wide Sky, he writes that he learned conversational Icelandic in a week and then appeared on an interview on Kastljós on RÚV speaking the language.

Perhaps things in the universe exist in some other way, but our nature can perceive it solely in one or two of the ways.

At the end, we will end with conjectures alone, because we will be with lack of evidence to prove the existence of other ways , due to our condition of perceiving the universe.
brianjakub

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:59 pm
@dalehileman,
Is she a person?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:25 am
@cameronleon,
Cm thank you for that
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:27 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
Is she a person?
Brian, She is It, All; Him if you like, The Whole Thing, The Universe. All the activity therein is Her thinkin'

Oops, Brian, at 86 & w/Alzies, think you might've ast b4; and indeed I might've ans'd
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:40 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
...that there aren't believing scientists,,, just too afraid to stick their neck ...to ask the right questions...
Boy Jak, again, yo've hit it on the very head. Trouble is, Science divides things up to show how different everything is, whereas actually nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I doubt it since there's a general rule that says the more complicated theory is probly wrong

I don't have a problem with complicated solutions (how much more complicated and unlikely can you get than 'biology by accident'?) but there isn't even a complicated explanation for abiogenesis that is credible.

'We know it's possible because it happened' is just not good enough to satisfy.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 07:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
... I doubt it since there's a general rule that says the more complicated theory is probly wrong

Quote:
I don't have a problem with complicated solutions (how much more complicated and unlikely can you get than 'biology by accident'?) but there isn't even a complicated explanation for abiogenesis that is credible.

You're right, it's the biggest mystery of all. I think eventually however it'll be shown that the humanoid, etc, is necessary part of the whole thing, the windup of Universe's evolution. Yet why life seems so important to the process, I dunno atall
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 01:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
'.... possible because it happened' is just not good enough....
Of course not, Lead. However, I predict at some far future date Science will come to realize, evolution itself being a product of evolution, it will be shown, just as legs evolved to move their owner, that the humanoid developed out of a need for thought

After all, the entire Production does seem entirely pointless w/o the humanoid to think about it and appreciate it. But it's not just the thought alone that will prove so important, but certain of its products. I don't know zactl what they are; I could guess but I talk too much; so I'll leave it at that; yes, no, not very satisfactory
brianjakub

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 05:04 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
that the humanoid developed out of a need for thought
God thought it would be good to love us. You can't appreciate love if you can't think like God.
Quote:
After all, the entire Production does seem entirely pointless w/o the humanoid to think about it and appreciate it.
A loving God with love as his purpose sure seems to give the humanoid a pretty substantial reason for living. I thank God everyday that I have family and friends(and enemies) to love.
Quote:
But it's not just the thought alone that will prove so important, but certain of its products. I don't know zactl what they are; I could guess but I talk too much;
Like the Eagles sang in Hotel California, "This could be heaven or this could be hell."
Quote:
so I'll leave it at that; yes, no, not very satisfactory
I suggest you don't just leave it at that, and get to know God (Jesus) personally. That is the purpose for your existence as a humanoid.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 07:37 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
God thought it would be good to love us
I see Her thinkin' as all activity of any sort everywhere

Quote:
I thank God everyday that I have family and friends(and enemies) to love.
I thank her esp for still bein' able to see and walk and talk, while leavin' my taste for The Brew

Quote:
.... just leave it at that, and get to know God (Jesus) personally
Well I am and I do; though pantheism looks at the whole thing in a slightly different way

Pleasure chattin' w/ya, Jak
0 Replies