In Praise of Manchester - Centre Of My Universe!

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:31 am
Setanta wrote:
Meow ! ! !

I know you're only pretending to be friendly, Setanta!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:33 am
I think the song you remember may be Winchester Cathederal. My parents live next to the man who wrote that - I've never even heard the song! Laughing

Manchester is also the source of many bands - Oasis, in particular, springs to mind. The Happy Mondays, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:35 am
Winchester Cathedral ... Of course! Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:41 am
Anyway, what time is it in Manchester & where is Sarah?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:41 am
It's 12:40 in the UK.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:45 am
Ah, that explains it. Thanks, KP! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:01 am
Winchester Cathedral
You're bringin' me down
You stood there and watched as
My baby left town

You could've done something
But you didn't try
You didn't do nothing
You let her walk by . . .
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:09 am
Well, the ad bar on the right of my screen (matchnet) is showing some extremly good looking men in Manchester
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:33 am
kitchenpete wrote:

Manchester is also the source of many bands - Oasis, in particular, springs to mind. The Happy Mondays, too.

Freddie & the Dreamers, Hermans Hermits, The Hollies, Mike & the Mechanics, Simply Red, 10 CC, Paul Young - name them.

I suppose, Winchester Cathedral is as seldom played in Winchester as when you are on a "boat" on the Mersey in Liverpool :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
Last night when I came out of the place where we had our meal (Waxy O'Connor's in The Printworks) I found myself walking along Corporation Street about six o'clock past the big Ferris wheel (think London Eye- only with nicer scenery around) and so I treated myself to a few revolutions on that. I had the gondola to myself, it was a very clear evening, and from the top I could see for miles- lights twinkling everywhere, traffic on Bury New Road, the cityscape of Salford, the glass roof of the Corn Exchange from above- Marks & Spencer's decked out for Christmas- fairytale land. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:43 am
Salford was once considered the classic English industrial slum. What is it like these days?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Photographs. Any chance of a few Manchester pics?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
Walter will probably post some pics.

And/or, have a look in here:

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/tourist/publicbuildings/

and Salford nowadays:

http://www.thequays.org.uk/home.asp
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:15 am
Thanks, McTag!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:19 am
Cheers, McT . . . the "then and now" comparisons are always of great interest to me . . .
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:30 am
Except for the speculative "yuppie development" of Salford Quays, Salford is still a dump !

Sign in the Argos Catalogue shop, Salford Precinct. "You are on CCTV. Our staff are entitled to work in a safe environment without threat from customers" (Paraphrased)...and in parts of Manchester some grocery and liquor stores have their goods and staff behind bulletproof glass !

So some things have improved, but many have deteriorated.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
Hiya Chucks, Been to Ikea with my brother, came back with car laden with self assemby.....I bought a coffee table 'jussi' £35.00 in the sale. David's just brewed, I'm checkin' my thread and then we'll make a start. We had to make a solemn vow NOT to argue over the flat pack. Mr S has gone for a drink 'with the lads' to the Horse and Jocky in Chorlton (pre-warned that 'flat pack' was on it's way). Horse and Jocky is famous for being where the Cavaliers and Roundheads met in Manchester (McTag will know it) it was George Best's local when he lodged at Cundiff Road in Chorlton when he first started playing with MUFC.

McTag, you were on the 'eye' all on yer todd! Shame, you should have come for tea. Can't believe you went to the Printworks at this time of year! Wer it packed?

Salford: Let's face it........it's a dump, sorry to any Salfordians out there, but it's not getting any better. I used to work at Salford Quays Jobcentre (City Road) and still work in the Salford area, so I know. Last day in work 31/12/04 (YIPEE) then I'm off to Immigration.

msolga: Hiya chuck, not completely 'pet free' as I have my brothers goldfish. I'm looking for a new name (check out my 'Care of Godfish' thread). I'd be well chuffed if you would think of a name for him/her, something not gender specific. Whatever you come up with - I'll call it!

McTag, don't forget those one hit wonders Sad Cafe, they're from Manchester. :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:26 am
She comes and talk to everyone except me Sad

Whatz Chucks?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:45 am
Chuck (Mancunian term of endearment) Anyway, Prince chuck, I always have you in mind whenever I post! I've just been talking about you.......someone suggests you like Kylie (he doesn't).....we've just been laughing about his old cat (claws28).....he was really aggresive, but he loved him! He used to put a leather glove on to stroke him (very Bloefeld). I've lost count of the number of times I've walked in and he's had the cat in his arms, stroking and doing the 'Ah, Mr Bond'.........I used to say "strockin' pussy again?.........Thought you were a puff?".

Sorry about the tearms....hope your not offended! But he's the one who phones me and always starts with "it's your local homosexual here" Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:16 am
Is my new avatar too cute?
0 Replies