( Bataan Death March in verse )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,057 • Replies: 10
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:08 am
Interesting to note, how quickly human sacrifice is forgotten.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:45 am
I haven't forgotten.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:53 am
Larry:

I'm glad.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:19 am
Had an uncle who was a prisoner there.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:57 am
Sports Illustrated had a major article on this in a recent issue.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:39 am
Thats odd - was there some famous athlete or sports figure at Bataan? Thanks - I'll try to find that issue.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:42 am
I threw the magazine out but I remember the name of the man started with an N. Something like Nappolini(?).

He lived in Skokie, Ill after the war ended.

He was very famous football player at Notre Dame prior to the war. The article ic centered on his ND ring and how the Japanese tried to steal the ring during the war.

Very descriptive comments on how our prisoners were treated in the Japanese concentration camps. Stuff like this should be taught in our
high schools.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 11:14 pm
I searched a little online, maybe it was 'Motts' Tonelli? I forgot about a book I got for Christmas called Ghost Soldiers, that I haven't read yet. Heard it is going to be made into a movie.

"On January 28, 1945, 121 hand-selected U.S. troops slipped behind enemy lines in the Philippines. Their mission: March thirty rugged miles to rescue 513 POWs languishing in a hellish camp, among them the last survivors of the infamous Bataan Death March. A recent prison massacre by Japanese soldiers elsewhere in the Philippines made the stakes impossibly high and left little time to plan the complex operation.

In Ghost Soldiers Hampton Sides vividly re-creates this daring raid, offering a minute-by-minute narration that unfolds alongside intimate portraits of the prisoners and their lives in the camp. Sides shows how the POWs banded together to survive, defying the Japanese authorities even as they endured starvation, tropical diseases, and torture. Harrowing, poignant, and inspiring, Ghost Soldiers is the mesmerizing story of a remarkable mission. It is also a testament to the human spirit, an account of enormous bravery and self-sacrifice amid the most trying conditions."
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:06 am
It was Motts!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:53 pm
Thanks - and thanks for bringing the subject up. I just noticed this is in Poetry and everything I wrote has been off topic. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies