Learning music/piano

Bram

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
For a starter, since you don't know whether you will like it or not, I would recommend a 61-key keyboard, with lots of pre-recorded songs, and a screen where they show where the notes should be played.

I have found keyboards at Toys 'R Us and Radio Shack, and you can get a decent one from $180-$300.

With 61 keys, you should be able to play a lot of songs, even though the notes may not be at the right positions (if the positions exceed the limits, you can always squeeze them within the 61 keys).

Once you know how to play the keyboard, you will be better able to decide whether it is worth buying a piano or not.

I personally find that a keyboard is so practical, because it is easily movable, and it gives a lots of digital sounds that a piano, a real one, can't.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:52 am
I have a 61-key keyboard as well as a full-size (88-key) electric piano. I occasionally run out of keys with the 61-key keyboard, especially on the bass end, but I've been playing for 25 years. At the beginner level I think 61 keys would be fine.
As I was flying with NW airlines over the holidays, I saw a "karaoke piano" in the SkyMall catalogue--it comes with a video instruction set, MIDI hookup, and some prerecorded songs for ~$200. The cool feature is that the keys are lighted--the software will help you learn to play a song by sequentially lighting up the keys you are supposed to play. Cool concept, but maybe just a gimmick? There weren't a lot of technical details in the catalogue (touch-sensitive keys, # of keys, etc.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:00 am
That "maybe just a gimmick?" is why I'll take a personal recommendation over the trade propaganda, any day.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
I'm real excited...Craven, take note. I was shopping in Best Buy and they have 4 or 5 electronic keyboards for sale.
The one that caught my eye was a Casio(I know, they used to be crap) for $499.
The darn thing was superb. Weighted,71 full size keys and an uncanny true piano sound. I started playing some blues licks and it was like driving a truck with no power steering after years on a cheaper non-weighted keyboard.
But I really like it, the price and quality is right, so I'm going for it. The other sounds sucked but I've got my Yamaha for steel drums and string patches.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
Result from friend:

Thanks!

Quote:
"Looks like the best way for me to do this is to buy a MIDI keyboard and interactive software.

Have a look at these:- http://pianoeducation.org/pnomhpc2.html
http://pianoeducation.org/pnodiskb.html

These should be a good start in terms of focussing on a smaller number of options. I have had no specific experience with these but would be happy to comment once your friend has made a 'short-list'.

Those are some of the titles I was looking into.

Quote:
I'm shopping around but will likely keep this buy as a low financial priority.

This I think means that the decision has to be 'right first go'??

I don't understand this.

Quote:
1) MIDI controller (so that I can have a software coach).

A 'MIDI Controller' is usually the keyboard itself, not the software as such. The software coach would be sold separately. Could be some terminology issues to become aware of here. A MIDI controller doesn't always include a sound module as well and may require an extra module to be purchased. Be careful here.

I understood this, I want a MIDI controller (as opposed to a standalone keyboard) so that I can use it to input into a computer, which can then give feedback with tutor software.

re: number of keys thanks for the feedback, looks like I can get by with 61.

Please thank your friend for me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
I will.

He's a muso and a sound engineer bla blabla - he said any more questions, he is very happy to help with anything he can.

"Quote:
I'm shopping around but will likely keep this buy as a low financial priority.

This I think means that the decision has to be 'right first go'??"

That just means he recognizes, if you ain't rich, it is important not tot waste money on the wrong item.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:13 pm
Ahh, right the first go (as in attempt, instance)...

Yup. Cept returning stuff is usually pretty easy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:16 pm
Lol - a perfectionist par excellence when it comes to music and sound he is!!!!!! Get it WRONG???!!!!!

Quelle horreur!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
Craven, are you familiar with Tomita? He has recorded very original interperatations of classical works on synth. It's pretty cool, and inspiring.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:53 pm
I bought my pretty good full-sized Wurlitzer upright for $200 at an auction. Ugly as sin, but oh well, it has good sound. Look around and you can probably find a used piano for almost free. Many people want to get rid of theirs as they are a pain to move. (My sis-in-law is still trying to get rid of a piano... last time I looked, she'd moved it outside.)

Even better and nearly free, universities and most high schools will have practice rooms with full-sized pianos that you can use (or sneak it and use).

There is a good self-teaching piano book I bought a few years ago: Piano: 2nd Time Around... It cost about $20 but was great for adults who could concentrate and really wanted to learn. That plus a very simple early book --The John Hansen method was a good one... there are plenty of others... ought to get you started. If you could get just a few minutes of help from a friend who knew piano it would help. It's important to know about using your fingers independently, curling your fingers and playing with the fatty pads at the ends of your fingers... stuff like that. Later, it will be important to know how to move beyond the first five notes... how to play scales and how to play with both hands doing independent things.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:06 pm
Free lesson at this piano store in S.D.... maybe they'd have a readerboard with pianos for sale, too:

http://www.greenemusic.com/free_lesson.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:47 pm
Craven - if you want any advice re the software/keyboards you are looking at, friend happy to give it.

If you have made up your mind, no probs.

(Friend is dedicated and enthusiastic teacher/helper re this stuff! Is barraging me with advice!!!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:09 pm
Piffka reiterates what I posted a few pages ago, re practice rooms with irl pianos, for that real piano boost, if not the whole experience.

Piff, actually buying a piano is a space problem for craven at present...

panzade, the casio sounds interesting..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:15 am
I never understood how people could buy guitars out of a catalogue...I have to play it to buy it...
I guess same goes for pianos now...for me.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
After you learn the basics of the piano, find a piece of sheet music you really like. This should preferably be a slower piano piece.
Play the music over and over until you get it right…be determined to learn it! This can be boring; however, once you accomplish this, it becomes much easier to move on to other music and more complex pieces.
I have been playing for about eight years now and someday I hope to own a baby grand Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
color...I agree, I've been working on a Bach prelude for eight years...lol
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:19 am
But Panz, you don't play it to buy it if you don't know how to play yet. You don't know the good from the bad, or even if you are going to stay interested.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
Dunno Rog...it's like buying a car...even though I'm not a race car driver or a mechanic, I'd wanna kick the tire one time.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:23 pm
Colorbook... right... and even with slow music, practice it even more slowly, and one hand at a time for about twenty run-throughs. Knowing how to count musical notes is also good. My piano teacher used to draw connecting lines to show which left-hand and right-hand notes were supposed to sound at the same time. Amazing how that little line would help me when I put both hands together.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
panzade wrote:
color...I agree, I've been working on a Bach prelude for eight years...lol

Slowly learning one single measure at a time, can make it easier to play it skillfully...or you can just play it, using a fake book Laughing

Piffka wrote:
Colorbook... right... and even with slow music, practice it even more slowly, and one hand at a time for about twenty run-throughs. Knowing how to count musical notes is also good. My piano teacher used to draw connecting lines to show which left-hand and right-hand notes were supposed to sound at the same time. Amazing how that little line would help me when I put both hands together.

That sounds like a great method for teaching. When I first started playing…it took a lot of practice to get my left hand to play differently than my right :wink:
0 Replies