Oh how the times have changed

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
China crowns cosmetic surgery queen ....... click

Quote:
A 22-year-old student who has had cosmetic surgery on her eyelids and cheeks was crowned the winner Saturday of China's first pageant for such "manmade beauties."

Feng Qian received a $6,000 country club membership after being picked from among 20 finalists, who ranged in age from 18 to 62.

<snip>
Quote:
Organizers said 90 women from other countries, including the United States and Japan, applied to compete. But they said the non-Chinese applicants were deemed not serious enough about the contest or had language or scheduling problems.

The government says China's cosmetic surgery industry took in $2.4 billion last year.

I'm really not quite sure what to think. Plastic surgery, country clubs ... this is not the Communist China of my childhood reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 540 • Replies: 4
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:02 pm
Worse still, is conceding that this repugnancy is progress. Sad
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:10 pm
I thought we wanted them to be like us.

Joe(Ain't nothing better than a country song played by one of them Chinese fellas) Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:29 pm
ok - guys - if you looked - did you find that the winner's face looked like they'd tried to make it more Caucasian looking? The rounder eyes and cheeks.

<sigh>
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:43 pm
Yup, that's crazy common in South Korea as well. And they'll usually never tell you they did it. Bigger rounder eyes and elongated faces have always been considered beautiful in those cultures, probably because of their relative rarity. It isn't "Caucasian-looking" by design... it just seems that way to us Caucasians. At least that's what they said on some program I watched about it. Personally, I don't see it as an improvement, at all, even when naturally occurring. I like Asian looking Asian women (alot!). And, in my book elective plastic surgery for anything but reconstruction, birth-defects or some other serious defect is a crying shame. I try not to judge people who elect to do it, but it saddens me that so many people feel they should.
0 Replies