I'm a drip

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2017 01:46 pm
My huge system on 2.5 acres includes 13 batt timers with thousands of feet of tubing and God knows how many drippers. Orbit timers very reliable and easy to use except for a persistent design defect where the solenoid-valve comes apart after a few weeks or months. I'd been complaining about it for some 7 years before finally they apparently got some new 'Engineers,' showing an interest in my complaint; so there's some hope

The rest is a continual task: Over some 20 years of retirement here I estimate I have made some 14,800 repairs [not including rebuilding the timer to repair its valve], requiring me every day to carry a pruner in one pocket to cut and replace tubing; and in another a pocketful of assorted drippers and fittings

So wondering whether others of my stripe might have had similar experience
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 503 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2017 02:44 pm
@dalehileman,
I have nothing to add about drip watering systems, but I'm just curious as to what you are growing on the homestead.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2017 06:13 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

I have nothing to add about drip watering systems, but I'm just curious as to what you are growing on the homestead.
Trees, Blick, a few, some shrubbery, lots of weeds

I was thinkin' of re- establishing a garden out back, however, now that the drought is over. All the plumbing is in place, all I hafta do is a few repairs

Mom grows tomatoes
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 11:29 am
@dalehileman,
Store bought solenoid valves are not that reliable or lasting, especially if it comes from China. It might be possible to make your own using commercial machine solenoid valves. Or pull them out from washing machines or something.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 02:02 pm
@seac,
Tank you Seac. Basically the valve would be just fine, very dependable, reliable, if only Orbit would improve the seal a little, if they'd just have their Chinese 'Engineers' follow my simple sugg or two that would increase the prod cost only a fraction of a cent if atall
Blickers

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 02:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Nuts to that, dale. I wouldn't give a company a solution to a problem unless they paid me. Let Orbit keep pushing out crummy valves until they find themselves replaced by a better manufacturer. That'll teach 'em.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 05:59 pm
@Blickers,
Blick deep in my subconscious soul I'm sure that's exactly the way I feel also. However I had hoped they might fix their gadget just so I didn't hafta repair each and every one. its bein' fine in every other respect
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 10:30 am
@Blickers,
Oh Blick, evidently not many drippers at a2k. Now I know I could Google this'n', nd intend to do so; however I wonder if I couldsolicit your op--on drippin' th seed

If I wanna raise something from seed, I'm not just sure how long, out here in the desert, between drippin's. Frinstance, which'd be better, 1/2 hr every day or 1 hr every other. Or 3 days? Anyone response appr

Incidentally, Ker,
Quote:
pushing out crummy valves until they find themselves replaced by a better manufacturer
the crazy thing, it isn't a crummy valve atall: In fact except for that single design flaw it's easy to use works good, long, and goes for many months on a pair of AA's. Still you'd think they'd think more about a single design flaw. It's as if they don't speak English, like you sugg
Blickers

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Wish I could give you drip agriculture advice, Dale, but we don't have that much of that in the Northeast. The annual rainfall around here is 47 inches, and if by some chance it falls even a smidgen below 40 inches for two consecutive years, everyone around here starts talking about a "regional drought emergency".

I just transplanted five lilac bushes from another part of the property to a place about 20 feet away. So far three of them look like they might live. If they bloom next year, that would be the most botanical success I've had since a got a B for my bean plant in fourth grade science class. So I'm afraid I'm not the person to go to for advice in this area.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:31 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
The annual rainfall around here is 47 inches
Wow Blick. Dunno ours but was grateful last night for 0.03 in.

Quote:
I'm not the person to go to for advice
Better'n me
0 Replies