desert+tree+watering+schedule

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 12:10 pm
...depending of course on size and kind of tree, an attempt to get a typical figure yields anythin' from 4 to 60 gallons/week

Here's one:

Shrubs and trees .... Sprinklers can work but drip irrigation is a much more efficient .... A good rule of thumb is .... 10 gallons of water for a 15 gallon plant each time you water. Boxed trees will need even more water but it doesn’t have to be applied every day...For established plants....(twice a week in summer).

..which would seem to suggest at least 20 gallons each per week; [though not sure what's meant by '15 gallon plant']

Can any other desert \dwellers shed some light here [mine mostly Ariz Cyp]
Esp using drip
w/many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 510 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 06:24 am
As I know it, the "gallon" of a plant or bush has to do with the container size, not the amount of water needed for the plant.

1, 3, or 5 gallon bushes can be bought at most big box stores. Has to do with the size of the plant. This has nothing to do with watering.

As usual, Dale, I have no idea what you mean.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 11:37 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
"gallon" ... has to do with the container size,
I presume, Punk, the container for the root

Quote:
1, 3, or 5 gallon .... to do with the size of the plant.
Aha thanks Punk, then I suppose what I need to know is the approximate size of a typical tree whose root fits into a 15-gallon pail

Quote:
...no idea what you mean.
Well, join the crowd. I'll try to clarify

'
get a typical figure yields anythin' from 4 to 60 gallons/weekWhen I Google the subject I am confused: Depending on the report, I conclude that the typical desert tree requires anywhere from 4 to 60 gallons of water a week. Therefore I had hoped that someone with experience with typical desert trees might shed some light on the subject

I should 'splain, Key, at 86 possibly w/ Alzie's I might misread
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 09:54 pm
@dalehileman,
You bought a tree that was in a 15 gallon container. That has nothing to do with watering.

What kind if tree is it? You are more likely to get your question answered just by identifying the tree.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 01:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
... in a 15 gallon container. ... nothing to do with watering
My reasoning was, the bigger the container, the more water might be reqd

Quote:
What kind if tree .... answered just by identifying the tree.
--- " '[mine mostly Ariz Cyp]' "---

Ariz = Arizona, a US State
Cyp = Cypress, a kind of tree

Like I said, Unk, my most sincere apolos from this poor slob at 86 with apparent Alzie's
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 04:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
As usual, Dale, I have no idea what you mean.
Also I get responses like that allatime. Incidentally, having worked at Googlin' it for hours, I've somewhat tentatively decided that 4 gallons/wk 'way too low; but that 60 gal/wk maybe 'way too high

Selecting one of about 3" dia we'd suppose at 10/gal/wk/in., then 30 gal/wk. However, w/ two 2-gal/hr drippers [watering once a week; there's not much choice in the matter] for two hours gives only 8 gal, 'bout a quarter what the 'sperts would have. Yet the li'l fella looks perfectly healthy

So my wild guesswork would seem to indicate that maybe the 'sperts are overdoin' it by a factor 'v't'least 4
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » desert+tree+watering+schedule
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:47:33