African American Poetry

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 12:31 am
In researching Joanne's topic in the History Forum, Black History Month in the United States, I came across a few links to poetry.

History Forum - Black History Month in the United States

Database of African American Poetry

To celebrate the University of Virginia's four millionth volume in it's Electronic Text Archive, Rita Dove was asked to write that volume:

Rita Dove's 'Lady Freedom Among Us'

Archives of African American Music and Culture

The African American Mosaic - A Library of Congress Resource Guide for the Study of Black History & Culture

The Historical Text Archive - African Americans
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,528 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 12:44 am
Larry, There's an interesting article in the Editorial page about the issue of the "n" word. Although it's left most peoples vocabulary, black rappers seem to use it frequently. It talks to the issue of whether the "n" word should be considered racial harrassment? Any thoughts? c.i.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 01:31 am
Given the sensitivity of its usage to African Americans, there are few instances when whites should use the word. I understand and don't think it is hypocritical for African Americans to use it amongst themselves. But I don't like that artists and writers should be censored into not using the word because of political correctness - for example the recent book called "Nigger - The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word" by an African American. There was a little uproar over that from black leaders.

I used the word in another topic when asked for an example of an early 20th century writer's very "un-pc" language. To use it carelessly and indiscriminately is just stupid, but to pretend it wasn't used in the past and not talk about it because of political correctness is dishonest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:22 am
Larry, I don't ever have a need to use the "n" word in any of my communication. I don't use racial epithets. I think black artists use the "n" word for shock value, and it works with selling their recordings. The only problem I have is that the use of the "n" word by black artists makes it's use legitimate for young people that buy those recordings, yet they are told not to use the "n" word. That is a big contradiction, and unfair. c.i.
0 Replies