The italian and the female umpire

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 02:43 pm
I usually have an eye out for improving my italian language ability, always not very good and later, as a long time has gone by since I studied for a couple years, worse..

So, this link amused me, though I know it shouldn't have. Two more words I didn't know!

Clip from The Guardian -
Kevin Mitchell at Flushing Meadows
Saturday 2 September 2017 19.53 BST
Last modified on Saturday 2 September 2017 20.02 BST
~~~
Fabio Fognini was in effect kicked out of the US Open on Saturday, accused of shouting obscenities at a female umpire during his defeat by his fellow Italian Stefano Tavaglia, a qualifier who bagled the 22nd seed in the last of four sets in the first round.

Fognini, whose legendary volatility had dimmed since his marriage to the retired US Open champion Flavia Pennetta last year, then the birth of their first child in May, exploded three times during the match.

Louise Engzelle, the Swedish umpire, reported Fognini after he called her, in Italian, “troia” and “bocchinara” – which translate as “whore” and “**********”. He received three fines from the International Tennis Federation of $4,000, $15,000 and $5,000, to which he responded, according to the Italian tennis website Ubitennis: “Today they’re all moralists.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/02/fabio-fognini-thrown-out-us-open-obscenities-umpire
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 10
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 02:48 pm
She could have retorted by calling him a 'stronzo', a lovely word which Italian dictionaries explain is 'una massa fecale solida di forma cilindrica'. They warn that it has "una connotazione offensiva", in case one did not realise this. Also there is a gesture which involves slapping, with the right hand, the upper part of the bent left arm, the raised hand of which is made into a fist.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 03:02 pm
@centrox,
Wait!!
'**********' turned into a big bunch of stars.
That in itself is funny.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 03:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
And now the word is visible again (if it's good enough for the Guardian...)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 03:10 pm
@centrox,
Ah, I sort of remember the word 'stronzo'. I do remember the bent arm gesture, but never experienced it myself..
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 03:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Whatever mod starred replacing the word, for a short time, I understand. I'd be an awful mod, might have had the same quandary re whatever rules we have now.

I need to read them..
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 04:59 pm
https://i.imgbox.com/K6KLbOcv.jpg
https://i.imgbox.com/159dLlko.jpg
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 05:01 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
a gesture which involves slapping, with the right hand, the upper part of the bent left arm, the raised hand of which is made into a fist

You can reverse the arms if you want.
centrox

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 05:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
'**********' turned into a big bunch of stars.

Like in 2001 - A Space Odyssey? Maybe try a bit more tobacco with it?

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 05:09 pm
@centrox,
I remember that as a guy thing, but by now, I don't know.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 05:13 pm
@centrox,
Nah, it was only there with the star display for a couple of seconds.
I can be pretty swift, once in a while.
0 Replies