That's Obvious: The Famous Name Word Game

ibgib

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 07:20 am
That's Obvious is a game The Woman and I came up with while taking road trips. We're both word puzzle game fanatics (we met in a "Scrambler" room on AOL about 20 years ago), and here is the game we came up with:

You get 3 clues, one at a time. Each clue is a word game that relates to a famous name, such as a celebrity or athlete. There are various kinds of relationships the clues have to the names (which makes it very difficult): meaning, compound word, idiomatic, rhyme, etc. Your job is (obviously) to state the name that the clues obviously relate to.

For example, if I give you a clue:
FN: cat
LN: ship

(FN/LN = first/last name)

The answer goes like this: Cat. Tomcat. Ship. Cruise ship. Tom Cruise. These are examples of the compound word clues. But you can also have syllable-by-syllable clues, for example if I give you the clue:

FN: cat-like
LN: backwards swirl-father

Here, the hyphen delimits each syllable's clue. For those of you who might want to solve this, I'll give you another one for this:

FN: thumb-straw knot
LN: reverse currents-off

I'll leave a blank here before I give you the answer.
------

Simpler clue:

FN: Palm-us
LN: Ready-fun

nosidE samohT :rewsnA

(I've written it backwards to make it a little harder for your brain to accidentally see the answer if you're one of those people.)

So it's very much like a crossword minigame. The fun part is that it's extremely difficult because of the problem space, depending on the clue(s) given. But once you know the answer, it's obvious!

Here are a couple more from that game. The letters (A, B, C...) denote a single famous person, so A1 is the first clue for A, A2 is the second clue and so on.

---

A1 (Hollywood Celeb)
FN: red
LN: coffee-participatory

A2
FN: little wound reminder
LN: bach's progeny

A3
FN: tar-bet
LN: woe-man-son

nossnahoJ ttelracS :rewsnA

---------