Go back in time & turn back time

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 06:34 am
If the following two sentences are both correct, do they mean the same thing?

1) I would like to turn back time and be sixteen again.

2) I would like to go back in time and be sixteen again.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 564 • Replies: 13
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 06:58 am
@paok1970,
They are both correct and they do mean the same thing, but the first could refer just to the individual. They could turn back time and be 16 but it's still the present day, but going back in time means going back to the year in which they were 16.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 08:23 am
I'd like to go back in time and be 16 again, but would not want to turn back time and re-live my own life again at age 16.
Ponderer

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 09:10 am
@paok1970,
Some may find this blurring. There is an expression "turn back the hands of time".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 09:29 am
@PUNKEY,
Whose life would you like to lead?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 10:20 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
If the following two sentences are both correct, do they mean the same thing?

1) I would like to turn back time and be sixteen again.

2) I would like to go back in time and be sixteen again.

Thank you.

I would say that both sentences are correct, and that they do NOT mean the same thing.

"Go back in time" suggests time travel (as if in a science fiction novel). In the context of the sentence it suggests magically resetting one's life by returning back to the year when they were actually 16 and reliving their life over again from that point.

"Turn back time" suggests a wish to become young again, but without any desire to return to the past and rewrite history.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 01:32 am
@paok1970,
Your English is superior to Oralloy's. He has a very limited vocabulary yet is incredibly opinionated. Putting him on ignore would be a smart move, he just confuses things because he doesn't understand how language functions. Setanta and Contrex won't let you down, they at least know what they're talking about.
paok1970

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 03:22 am
@izzythepush,
Putting him on ignore would be a smart move.....

What should I do to "put him on ignore"?

I'm asking this because I want to save all of your answers in a folder that I'm going to call "able2know.org" for future reference.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 04:57 am
@paok1970,
For a start he's absolutely repulsive, but he's not very smart. His vocabulary is limited and he's more likely to give wrong advice than helpful advice. Both Contrex and Setanta know what they're talking about, their answers are better than anyone else's.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 08:06 am
@paok1970,
Izzythepush is maliciously giving you bad advice about me. Before you decide who to place on ignore, I suggest having your English teacher review my previous answer and tell you whether I gave good advice or not.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 08:24 am
@paok1970,
Quote:
What should I do to "put him on ignore"?
to put someone on ignore, click on their name, and then click the green IGNORE USER button...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 08:35 am
@paok1970,
Oralloy is 100% correct. People don't like him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is correct on this thread. These two phrases do not mean the same thing.

To "go back in time" suggests time travel. To "turn back time" suggests changing something that you regret. They are not the same at all.

Consider the song.

Quote:

If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I'd take back those words that hurt you
And you'd stay

He isn't talking about time travel. He is talking about a desire to take back something that he now regrets. Doctor Who doesn't "turn back time", he goes back (and forward) in time. These phrases are not at all interchangeable.

There is a right answer and a wrong answer here. It is ridiculous that people are giving you the wrong answer because they have a personal grudge against Oralloy (who in this case has the right answer).

If you should put anyone on ignore, it would be Izzy.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 08:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
People don't like him,

Well, the bad guys don't like me. Sometimes the good guys disagree with my methods, but I believe they like me as a person.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 01:38 pm
Many of your questions involve idiomatic use. They get interpreted according to the many cultural and linguistic influences of the posters.

I'm asking this because I want to save all of your answers in a folder that I'm going to call "able2know.org" for future reference.

That's a nice plan. Will you go back in time or turn back time when you look at the folder?
0 Replies