HELP!!! on finding zeros of polynomials

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:22 pm
Hello! What are the steps for finding the total amount of zeros (including rational, irrational, and complex) of a polynomial?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,020 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Y0da

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:11 pm
The "order" of the polynomial indicates the number of zeros. Keep in mind some can have a multiplicity of more than one. If you want to know how to find them, then that is another story.
0 Replies

BlossomAmbition

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:01 pm
Y0da wrote:
The "order" of the polynomial indicates the number of zeros. Keep in mind some can have a multiplicity of more than one. If you want to know how to find them, then that is another story.

oh, i think i know how to find the zeros, but I don't know how to find the total amount without actually having to find all the zeros first. What's the "order"?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:22 am
Order of Polynomials
The order is the highest power of "x" in the equation. So x^3+3=0 has an order of three and three solutions.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
But in the case of an equation like xy^3, the order is actually four isn't it, because you add the exponenents and whichever is highest is the order. Is this right or am I just dreaming?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 08:33 am
Multiple independent variables
When you have multiple independent variables, all bets are off. In the example you mentioned, xy^3=0, there are an infinite number of solutions of the form x=0, y=1,2,3,...
0 Replies

mathmaniac

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:05 am
YOda is right.
The term with the highest power (this is the order or the degree of the equation or polynomial) indicates the number of solutions.
For example, a polynomial with a term having X^5 as its highest power has 5 solutions.
However, these solutions are gauranteed only in the set of COMPLEX numbers. That is, they may not all be real. Also, some may be solutions of multiplicity. That is, they occur more than once.
0 Replies