How did the universe begin....

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:57 pm
I have a question....everybody begins the story of life with the big bang....what was there before and how did it get there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:02 am
Almost no-one begins the story of life with the big bang, the story of the universe however does often start with the big bang, but certainly not everybody goes that path, <nods to creationist dudes>

Anyway, I've been reading and watching a bit about M-Theory and I'm sure one idea was that the big bang was just one in a series of big bangs caused by 'branes' bumping into each other in 11 dimensional space.

I don't claim to understand but I am fascinated by it.

Have a look at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/ if you seriously want to know more.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
If you read Stephen Hawking...you will see that even he, probably the world's foremost living thinker in this area, acknowledges that he has no idea of what existed "before the big bang"...nor does he think it profitable to devote energies to contemplating it at this stage.

Please tell me that you do not think that this, in some way, validates that mythology you keep peddling.
0 Replies

SmokingFire

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 02:59 pm
Tisk tisk frank, still radding on beliefs, and no it was just a question, there is no "mythological" end to this thread....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:01 pm
Hinge, saw the Nova show last night. Was mesmerized ....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:05 pm
I missed the show. I am sort-a upset I did now.
My husband and I have been doing alot of research about this very subject for a while.
we have found some interesting stuff. if i can get him to , i will post some of the things we have read about
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
Hiya Panz/Ms Wolf

It was pretty amazing - I'm not sure what was most impressive; the theories, or the producer's brave attempts to explain this stuff to people without the mathematical background (like me).

It was like watching the news in Spanish when you pick up maybe every fifth word and wonder if the meaning you've extrapolated is anything like the show's intention.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:36 pm
yup, though the host was pretty easy to understand ....for a scientist.
0 Replies