What do A2kers think of Quora?

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:01 pm
Quora seems to get a lot of attention. I've found it frustrating because there seems to be so little chance for dialogue. I post there anyway. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:13 pm
@neologist,
I'm well over religion, weary of endless philosophical ramblings (my dad was religious and a philosophy major but he didn't go on and on and on and on), and I get enough politics here at a2k. On the other hand, if the rest of you like it, I might give it a look to see how their format works.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:02 pm
I didn't care for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:04 pm
If you want dialogue, you do it in the comments section after someone's response. Most exchanges I've had by that means, though, have not been pleasant. I've reported a few people who used the comments to abuse those with whom they disagree.

As should surprise no one, I largely posted responses about history. I had tens of thousands of views of my responses each week, and the moderators often chose my responses to include in their digests. "Your response to So-and-So was sent to 1000+ subscribers," "Your response to Such-and-Such was sent to 5000+ subscribers." On one occasion, I was informed that one of my responses was sent to 1,000,000+ subscribers, and on another occasion, a response was sent to 2,000,000+ subscribers. However, I had an uneasy relationship with the moderators. If someone reports your post, they automatically collapse it, and inform you of the fact, with the option to appeal. A few weeks ago, I quoted Theodore Roosevelt, when he said: “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” I then quoted the paragraph in an editorial he wrote which was published in the Kansas City Star, May 7, 1918. I then received a notice that my answer had been collapsed, for plagiarism! I sent in an appeal, noting that I had attributed Roosevelt, and cited the source. I also pointed out that that was not the first time I had quoted Roosevelt with that remark. Their response was that I had not cited the web site from which I had gotten it. I replied that I wondered if they knew what plagiarism means. I told them to do a web search for "To announce that there must be no"--which is sufficient to pull up literally millions of hits. I did it just now, and got 3.9 million hits in under a second. I then said that I wondered why I wasted my time there. I've not posted or read there since.

I enjoyed it, and I learned a lot. But it just wasn't worth the pettiness of people arguing in the comments section, or the knee-jerk reaction of the moderators to any report. If all you want to do, though, is read, I'd say it is worth your while. I won't be going back there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:10 pm
One aspect of Quora that I wish we had here is that if you up-vote or down-vote a post, it is reported to the author, with your name. That kind of keeps the snarkiness down somewhat--but then there's the pettiness in the comments section.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
Within regular discussion threads:

I tend to be a thumber... (I probably need to grow up). My impression of myself is that I probably post up too much and need to curb it in the more "intellectual" threads that don't need the noise. On the other hand, there may be the not so sure intellectual that wouldn't mind a boost. Plus I like the learning.. thus the plus.

I don't apologize for downing noxious crap. That is arguable, but I take it as allowed here.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:52 pm
@neologist,
I was getting many "Forwards" (I guess). It seemed they were trolling for members. I visited the site and immditely did not like the "Stand in line to comment feature". Bad as this site can be (what with the "The Bible said it so it's gotta be fact") e at least can shout at each other rather than be 9th in line.

I do , however, note that there was a great deal more actual "expertise" apparent in the science threads. (None of these A2K disagreements with Special Relativity) . I didnt join bcause I already have a number of sites from the geological Societies that can get credibly involved over teensy bits of detail that we dont have (or really need) here.

The science stuff I get involved with here is based upon a passion to keep religion from science classes. Most of my colleagues will just bail an have nothing to do with someone like a 'snake or a few others that come and go.

I bitch about A2k but its still a "go to" spot. outside of picking a direct fight with a relative who believes counter to everything you accept.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 06:30 pm
@Setanta,
Agreed.
0 Replies