Hair problems.

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 08:32 am
hey guys, recently I've been noticing my hair has been getting worser day by day. I used to wash my hair once a week (at least 3 years ago) and it was horrible to me and I couldn't stand it. Last year I started to only wash my hair every second day leading up to the start of this year where I would constantly wash it everyday. I've struggled with extreme OCD the past couple of years and have to have my hair clean 24/7. I've used plenty of shampoos and conditioners but I feel like my hair is only just getting worse. My hair has recently became super dry and has produced a lot of build up. In the past month I've spent almost $100 on hair products to try make my hair healthy again without having to not wash my hair. Last year I found that every time I let my hair down it would knot straight away and wind and humidity would suck the moisture out of it, but as I've seemed to wash my hair everyday it's eased but I feel like it's coming back. Currently I'm using dove daily care shampoo and conditioner for fine hair, I also use an essano hair serum everyday when it's damp. I've tried numerous things to get it back to normal (even trying not to wash it everyday)‭‭ such as - hot oils, deep conditioners, hair masks, expensive shampoos/conditioners etc. I also straighten the hair everyday as it gets really curly and brittle. I used hair protectant spray for two years straight but found it may be breaking my hair even more as it contains a lot of unwanted things I want on my hair. I also dye my hair around every 3 months. I constantly have to brush it nearly every 5 minutes and have found a lot of it is starting to shred quickly. I stay away from products like dry shampoo and hair spray as it makes me feel gross and makes me have the urge to wash it. In February this year my hair was the healthiest it had ever been because I wasn't as stressed as I had ever been before which could maybe be the cause for a lot of these things to happen. Does anybody have any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 788 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 09:20 am
@Emma8020,
stop messing around with your hair.

really.

stop.

don't comb it more than twice a day. Do NOT brush it. At all. At least for a couple of weeks. Brushes are brutal on hair, especially wavy or curly hair.

Do not wash it more than twice a week. Once a week would be better.

No more treatments.

You need to give the natural oils a chance to heal your scalp and hair follicles. You've been on a campaign to destroy them.

A gentle shampoo and mild conditioner up to twice a week is plenty. See if you can buy a simple clarifying shampoo that will not add more cr@p to the surface of your hair. No hot water. Cool or lukewarm only.

Give your hair a break.

___

Make an appointment with your family doctor to see about a mild medication to help you get control of your OCD. Talk to the doc about getting a prescription for something very short-term that will break the cycle you are in now.

___

Put the brush away. Give it to someone to hold onto for the next few weeks.
ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 09:22 am
@ehBeth,
If your hair is long enough, tie it back in a simple braid or ponytail.

If you feel you need to wash your hair more often - cool water rinse only on the days you are not using shampoo. Really step back from conditionser/serums.
0 Replies