Change of voice

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:41 am
How do I change the voice of the sentence "Lakhs of people were getting vaccinised at the medical camp." ?

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:54 am
@Kamakhya,
Start by making it English.

I think you mean "Lots of people were getting vaccinated at the medical camp."

Medical camp isn't idiomatic English, either. I suspect you mean a Doctors Without Borders-style medical tent at a refugee camp.

The way to change from active to passive voice is as follows:
  • Take out the form of 'to be' in the verb. In this case, it's the word 'were'.
  • Take the other verb (in this case, it's 'getting vaccinated') or verb phrase and change it from something received to something the subject was actively doing. Sometimes this means changing the verb entirely. You can't change this one entirely because presumably the subjects were not injecting themselves.
  • Often this also means changing it from past tense.
  • This one will benefit from breaking up the verb phrase and instead using a verb and a noun. From 'getting vaccinated', change it to 'getting vaccines'.
  • You can't just use the word 'getting' without a form of 'to be', but we want that gone. So instead change the form of 'getting' to a straightforward past tense: 'got'.
  • New sentence: "Lots of people got vaccines at the medical camp."
Kamakhya

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:33 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the corrections in the sentence. You might get confused with some of the sentence structures I use as I have been using Indian English since the last 27 years Smile

Lakhs or Lacs = Millions

Coming back to the question, I am still not clear on the conversion of voice. I presume the original sentence is in the passive voice. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, clarify the conversion of voice with some more examples that use 'getting' or 'get' verbs.

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 07:30 am
@Kamakhya,
Oh, interesting clarification re Indian English. Learn something new every day! Smile

Yes, the original sentence is in passive voice. Its verb is actually a phrase: 'were getting vaccinated". Similar verb phrases could be 'were getting killed' or 'were getting married'. Complicating matters is the fact that some past-tense verbs (such as married) can also be used as adjectives.

E. g. I am a married woman.

Passive voice is when the subject of the sentence has something done to them. Active voice is when the subject of the sentence is doing the acting, even if it's to receive something.

I was driven to the airport (or even, 'I got driven to the airport').
I got a ride to the airport.

There are some slight shades of difference in meaning (after all, in the second sentence, my ride might have been on the back of someone's bicycle) between the two sentences. However, in the first one, the action is by someone else - my dad, a taxi driver, etc. In the second one, I am the actor, even though I am receiving something.

He gave me a book. <-- active voice. The subject is 'he'.
I was given a book by him. <-- passive voice. The subject is 'I', but the action is performed by someone else, the person mentioned in the predicate.
I received a book from him. <-- active voice. The subject is 'I', and the subject is performing the action.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:14 pm
The medical camp gave vaccinations to millions of people.
0 Replies