Face a person & be in front of a person

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:35 am
Is there a difference between "to be in front of a person" and "to face a person"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me a few examples?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 629 • Replies: 17
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:20 am
The key word here is 'face' used as a verb. If you are facing someone or something then your stance is such that your face and the front of your body are towards that person or thing.

I am facing John (we are looking at each other)
I am facing the lake.
I am in front of a woman (she is behind me) in the queue at the Post Office.
paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:39 am
@centrox,
What does "I'm in front of the telly" imply? Does it imply that "I'm watching the front or the back of the TV set"?

Thanks again for the help.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 07:33 am
To be in front of a person or thing (house, car, TV set etc) is to be positioned so that the front of that person or thing is the nearest part.
paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 08:56 am
@centrox,
If I am sitting or standing in front of a woman, am I facing her?

Also, which of the following mean "She is facing John"?

1) She is in front of John.

2) She is opposite John.

3) She is before John.

4) She is across from John.

Thanks again for your kind help.
centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:26 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
If I am sitting or standing in front of a woman, am I facing her?

She is facing you, since you are in front of her, but you may or may not be facing her. You could be facing away from her.

Quote:
Also, which of the following mean "She is facing John"?

1) She is in front of John.

2) She is opposite John.

3) She is before John.

4) She is across from John.

None of them say she is facing John.
centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:42 am
Can you see this picture? The woman speaking on a phone is in front of the man in the brown jacket, but she is not facing him. They are both facing in the same direction.

https://www.bluewin.ch/content/dam/bluewin/de/digital/eigene-artikel-und-neue-feed-bilder/2014/10/digital-getty-bus.jpg.bwimg.900x588.ts1413204461772.jpg/digital-getty-bus.jpg

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:46 am
Can you see this picture? The woman in the second place in the queue is in front of the man in the third place, but she is not facing him.

https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/514156/119019151/stock-photo-long-line-of-diverse-professional-business-people-standing-in-a-queue-in-profile-isolated-on-white-119019151.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:50 am
@paok1970,
these people are facing each other

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/facing-each-other-8378906.jpg

this photo show one man in front of three others

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a2/d5/0a/a2d50a9dbf2ab3fdc2a0b4bd85b13760--band-photography-photography-ideas.jpg
0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:47 am
@centrox,
I'm writing back because I don't understand this part of your reply:

She is facing you, since you are in front of her, but you may or may not be facing her. You could be facing away from her.

Would you please explain it further?

Also, in the picture below, is the man in front of the TV (set), is he facing the TV (set) or both?

http://chicago.barstoolsports.com/files/2014/06/tv-white-noise.jpg

Thanks again for the help.

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

I'm writing back because I don't understand this part of your reply:

Would you please explain it further?

You wrote: If I am sitting or standing in front of a woman, am I facing her?

I wrote: (1) "She is facing you, since you are in front of her".

Here is an explanation of that: you are in front of her. That means her front (her face, chest, stomach, knees, etc) are towards you. Her back is away from you. That is what we mean when we talk about 'facing'.

I wrote (2) "but you may or may not be facing her. You could be facing away from her".

Here is an explanation of that: there is nothing in your sentence (the one in red above) which says anything about the orientation of your body (which way you are facing, in fact). You could be facing her. You could be facing to her left, to her right, or facing away from her.

[quote="paok1970"]Also, in the picture below, is the man in front of the TV (set), is he facing the TV (set) or both?[/quote]

1. Conventionally, the 'front' of a TV set is deemed to be the part with the screen. That is the part oriented towards (facing) the man, so he is in front of the TV. You understand this.

2. As we can see the back of the man's head, his face is towards the TV, so, yes, he is facing the TV.

Is this clear now?

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:12 pm
Put compactly, words or phrases such as 'in front of', 'behind', 'to the left/right of', 'above, 'below' etc, express position relative to something or someone, and 'facing', 'facing towards', 'facing away from', express orientation.

If I stand in front of you and rotate, I will be facing you (and we will be facing each other) once every revolution.

paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
@centrox,
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/side-profile-of-a-couple-looking-at-each-other-picture-id79757618?s=170667a

Which of the following sentences should I use to describe the above picture?

1) They are facing each other.

2) They are looking at each other.

3) She's looking him in the face.

4) She's looking him in the eye.

5) He's looking her in the face.

6) He's looking her in the eye.

paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:19 pm
@centrox,
If I stand in front of you and rotate, I will be facing you (and we will be facing each other) once every revolution.

What do you mean by "once every revolution"?
centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:40 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
Which of the following sentences should I use to describe the above picture?

1) They are facing each other. True

2) They are looking at each other. True.

3) She's looking him in the face. Possibly.

4) She's looking him in the eye. Cannot tell. Doesn't look like it. She seems to be looking downwards.

5) He's looking her in the face. Possibly.

6) He's looking her in the eye. Cannot tell. Doesn't look like it. He also seems to be looking downwards.
centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:41 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

What do you mean by "once every revolution"?

Once during each rotation. I am revolving. Each complete rotation is one revolution.
0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:20 pm
@centrox,
Are the following sentences correct?

1) They looked each other in the face.

2) They looked each other in the eye.

If not, would you please rephrase them for me?

Thank you.
centrox

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 01:07 am
@paok1970,
Both fine.
0 Replies