Woman regrets 'freak' shooting; 9th-grader recovering

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:21 am
This part is my favorite: "...[S]he stopped ... to use a phone book and locate a bank."

Woman regrets 'freak' shooting; 9th-grader recovering

Police plan no charges after gun went off in her purse, hit student in leg

By Camille C. Spencer

Tishawunna Funchess said she regrets what she calls a freak accident that wounded a 14-year-old boy after a gun accidentally discharged in her purse outside his school in Jackson earlier this week.

If anything, Funchess, a 28-year-old mother of three from Jackson, said she wanted Christopher Hudson's mother, Montrica Meeks, to know how sorry she is about the accidental shooting. Funchess called Meeks after the Tuesday shooting to explain what happened.

"I feel really bad," she told The Clarion-Ledger in a telephone interview. "It was a big freak accident."
Funchess said she has personal reasons for no longer wanting to carry a weapon.

"My mother died from an accidental shooting," she said, not elaborating. "That's why it will take me awhile to get over it. I didn't try to run. You have to take responsibility for what you do."

Hudson, a ninth-grader, was shot above the left knee around 3 p.m. as students were heading to another building across the street from Emmanuel Christian Academy, 1023 Langley Ave., said pastor J.W. Moore, the school's leader. Hudson was taken to a hospital and released the same day.

Funchess said she stopped at Emmanuel Apostolic Tabernacle, where she is a member, to use a phone book and locate a bank. "I was outside talking to kids like I always do, and I dropped my purse," she said.

Funchess said she has a gun permit for the .22-caliber handgun. She would not disclose why she had the gun in her purse. But she told police "she carried the gun for protection because she had a problem with an individual she had a relationship with," Jackson police spokesman Robert Graham said.

Funchess will not be charged, Graham said, but, as is procedural in shootings, a grand jury will hear the case.

Hudson will continue attending the kindergarten to grade 12 school of about 50 students, Meeks said. He is at home recovering for now, however.

"I'm keeping him at home to watch out for infection," Meeks said. "He wants to walk more than they would like him to."

Doctors told Meeks that the bullet, still lodged in the back of Hudson's left leg, is less than an inch under the surface of his skin. "If he has problems later, they will take (the bullet) out. They recommend it stays in," Meeks said.

Meeks said Funchess "was very apologetic" during their conversation Tuesday. " I know it was an accident, and I know she's grieving."

Classes resumed Wednesday, and parents knew the shooting was an accident, Moore said. "They know it was an isolated incident. That made us feel good to know no one was offended. The reason it was shocking was we hadn't experienced anything like it before."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 598 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:09 am
Another example of how the ease of gun ownership has unintended consequences.

(Now I wait for the NRA defense squad to swoop in and secure the perimeter of this thread...)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:57 pm
I Didn't Know The Gun Was Loaded
Hank Fort & Herb Leighton 1949

LYRICS ONLY

Oh Miss Effie was her name

Through the west she won her fame

Being handy with the gun

But she drove the men insane

Cause she'd whip out her pistol

And shoot most any guy

And sing out this alibi

I didn't know the gun was loaded

And I'm so sorry my friend

And I'll never, never do it again

But one night she made a slip

Shot the sheriff in the hip

So the law it took a hand

And made Effie take the stand

And she pled, 'oh your honor

I'll know you turn me loose

When you hear my one excuse'

But regarding the gun that I toted

All I did was hold it high and go ...

BANG, PING, HUHH, ZSSS

I'll never, never do it again

INSTRUMENTAL

Yes the jury all agreed

That Miss Effie should be freed

But the sheriff's jealous wife

Was indignant (yes, indeed)

So she borrowed a pistol

And shot this village belle

And sang as Miss Effie fell

But regarding the gun that I toted

All I did was hold it high and go ...

BANG, PING, HUHH, ZSSS

I'll never, never do it again
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
You gotcher Mississippi Fundie and yer gun, yer collateral damage and yer irony.

I wonder if Ms.Tishawunna Funchess is a registered voter... and how she voted last November.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:29 pm
I have this image of her in the bank at some point, looking for something. Decides to upend her purse on the counter and a loaded pistol DROPS OUT!

Either:
-the teller hits the panic button, or
-they're so damn blase about handguns in Jackson that they take no notice (I'm assuming it has to be a sawn-down shotgun pointing at some-one for the message to get across).
0 Replies