Marine sacrifices finger for wedding ring; Doctors lose ring

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:17 am
He was "disappointed?"

Marine sacrifices finger to save wedding ring

VICTORVILLE, California (AP) -- When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a November 13 fire fight in Falluja. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

"But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate."

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.

"I can't believe he did that," she said. "At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life."

The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 531 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
...and they LOST the ring...?

<unbelieveable>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
I think this falls under the category of "never make important decisions while drunk/drugged/in shock."

Gotta feel for the guy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
I had read this and thought, it is very sweet, but a ring is an object that can be replaced. It represents his love, but he could get another ring, he cannot get another finger. Any wife would want him to cut the ring. However, the article I read made no mention of losing the ring. How heartbreaking is that?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:24 am
I think it's sweet that he didn't want to lose his ring but I think his wife would have rather him kept his finger on...the doctors couldn't lose that.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:29 am
maybe it'll eventually turn up with the WMD's......
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
maybe it'll eventually turn up with the WMD's......

Shocked
Laughing
Laughing
0 Replies