Are Ya Happy with your Satellite TV Service?

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:28 pm
Gus is still waiting to get The Sheep Channel in HD.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:36 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I just assisted a customer getting DirectTV and it wasn't a rental -- it was an outright purchase and could be taken to any new location. To my knowledge, they will still rent the equipment on a monthly charge. Because they make improvements, especially in the DVR storage capacity, I'd rather rent the equipment. I've had two boxes from Time Warner, actually the first HD DVR receiver available in Orange County which has since been replaced. It was another attempt to solve the signal problems but I'm calling them today to resolve that. I might end up with Direct except in stormy weather (which we haven't had in our drought plagued Southern California this last year!) when there is intermittent dropout.

It even says in our contract that the DVR HD box is a rental and must be returned if we cancel service. The old boxes were outright buys....the new HD Box, a rental.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:55 pm
They rent me mine but don't charge me anything extra other than $5/month for each extra room. That's nothing new. You can buy an HD receiver at Costco for $70 or the DVR for $270, your choice.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:00 pm
Correct and all you need to do is order DirectTV or the Dish card, insert it, following the instructions. Their just as good, if not better, as the boxes the satellite people usually rent. If you want a DVR, you can generally get larger hard drives than the satellite or cable is offering.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:55 pm
To be honest it costs too much. I think $40/month plus $2/each for additional rooms is plenty, HD or not, especially since the consumer is forking over money for the receivers half the time. The FCC mandate to go all digital and HD by 2007 (now 2009) wasn't a mandate to raise prices beyond affordability.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:08 pm
It would be hard to pull me away from Time Warner cable now -- I have their TV service, their high speed Road Runner internet, and the telephone and get another $15.00 off a month as a package discount, making, for instance, my phone costing about $ 20.00 per month. I have called them again about the sound bleeping. Maybe I shouldn't be home when the tech comes as they all try to snow you when they really don't know what they are doing and I have a gun in the house. Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:18 pm
Only one? Wink
0 Replies