Reflexive pronouns used for emphasis

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:00 am
In the sentence below, is "myself" really needed?

I cut MYSELF shaving this morning.

Also, would you please give me some examples in which "myself/yourself/himself/etc" are USED for emphasis but they are not NECESSARY and, therefore, can be OMITTED?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 440 • Replies: 6
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:19 am
In the sentence you quoted, 'myself' is definitely needed. If you doubt this, consider the effect of omitting it: "I cut shaving this morning." The result is meaningless, although you could avoid a reflexive by saying "I cut my face/nose/lip/cheek/neck etc shaving this morning".

Often reflexive pronouns used for emphasis can be omitted without affecting the meaning:

I do not eat pork myself.
The mayor himself will be here today.
He would not work on a Sunday himself.
You yourself have seen what happens when dogs fight.

In most cases the reflexive pronoun can come either after the personal pronoun or after a verb/verb phrase: I myself do not eat pork or I do not eat pork myself.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 05:22 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

In the sentence you quoted, 'myself' is definitely needed. If you doubt this, consider the effect of omitting it: "I cut shaving this morning." The result is meaningless

I thought it sounded like cut was being used to skip/not do something. Like when Americans talk about cutting class.
centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I thought it sounded like cut was being used to skip/not do something. Like when Americans talk about cutting class.

You are quite right. Posh boys in old school yarns (Billy Bunter etc) used to talk about 'cutting games' which sounds like self-harming for fun, but actually meant skipping compulsory sport ('games') lessons.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:24 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
without affecting the meaning:
Well Cen, with many thanks on behalf of 1970, and granted that if Paok's esl, then I can 'stand; but eg, in
Quote:
, the implication is ref to an earlier msg where the eatin' of bacon had been 'cussed, and

Quote:
..implies others had been here earlier

Again tho, Trox, I'm splitting hairs yes
centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:03 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
, the implication is ref to an earlier msg where the eatin' of bacon had been 'cussed,

Or a an earlier remark in a conversation (a face-to-face one - remember them?)

dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
..implies others had been here earlier

Not necessarily, or even at all. In any case the 'himself' can be removed without rendering the sentence meaningless.

Quote:
Again tho, Trox, I'm splitting hairs yes

You are seeing hairs on a bald head.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:14 pm
@centrox,
Golly Cen but ain't you splittin' hairs over the splittin' of hairs
0 Replies