HOw to help my cat in and outside from high window

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:20 pm
Hi there - I have recently moved with two cats very used to be outside. It has taken three months but one in particular is very ready to go outside. HOwever I live in a walk up and so there is no easy access. They need to be able to come back in the same way. Someone has suggested to me that I could build a cat ladder off my balcony (which is about 4 feet from a slanted roof which is about 3 feet off the ground). Does anyone know anything about this. How would I build it - what materials would I use - do I need some kind of ledge for them to jump to (might it be better to build a ledge I can hook to the balcony. Advice would be very appreciated as he jumped off the balcony yesterday and came home limping. This cat is almost 11 and my other is 3.
Thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:22 am
Why not try and keep them inside full-time?
0 Replies

patience

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:25 am
I THOUGHT IT MIGHT GO THAT WAY
but they are not happy, they are getting fat and dispondent and my eldest really seems to want to go out
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:39 am
I sympathize. One of my cats was born in the wild, and used to want out badly.

So far as building a ladder, you might be better off if you can find a cheap wooden ladder of the right highth. Probably cheaper than anything you could build or have built. You will probably need to tie it in place, especially at the top. I have no doubt they will figure out how to use it without prompting.
0 Replies

patience

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:12 am
thats possible
I only worry about robbers if it is too people friendly
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:57 am
Have you considered "cat bungee jumping"?

It's a wonderful idea that is really gaining popularity among elevated apartment dwellers. Simply tie an appropriate length of bungee cord to the cat's neck and throw him off the balcony. The look of delight in their little feline eyes as their feet touch the ground momentarily and then they are whisked skyward, past their proud owner, near the roof, and then down again.

After the bouncing finally comes to an end, the satisfied cat simply hangs there with his tongue sticking out the side of his mouth. Then, feebly, he'll let out a weak "meow".

That's your signal to hoist him up to the patio and begin the process anew.

Let me know how this turns out for you, patience.

Glad I could help.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
GUS!!!!!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 03:17 pm
I'm going to go out on a limb here, urs53, and guess that you are the proud owner of at least one cat, and probably more.

My post was made in jest, of course, but the more I thought about what I wrote, the more intriguing it sounded.

I'm tying several bungee cords together right now and my cat is warily eyeing me from the corner.

I think he's preparing himself to make a run for it.

I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 04:17 am
Yeah, we would need several bungee cords for our big Nisse, too.

So how are you doing there, Gus?

And yes - of course you are right - I am the proud owner of two cats :-)
0 Replies