digital dab radio

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:07 am
hi all
ive just bought a new digital radio for work as the old radio just worked on fm and only picked 2 stations up.
as we work in the bottom of a valley will the dab digital be able to receive all the new channels it says or will it still be unable to pick up any stations.
i know it works on different technology but dont really understand how it works.
any advice would be most appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 929 • Replies: 2
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:52 am
I don't know if this will help, but I caught the tail end on the Steve Wright show on radio 2. Miles Mendoza (web man) was talking about dab, he said there is a web site re: reception. I'm new to this and don't know how to post you a link, but if you go to www.bbc.co.uk and then radio2, go on to his show and there will be a link to the recommended site. Hope it helps. Smile
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:01 pm
DAB Digital audio broadcast. Has three main sources .

1. Terrestrial , in the same way the BBC is sent.
2. Cable
3. Satellite.

When you buy a unit it will do one of the three, not all three or even two (unless its a special an more expensive toy). Normally, Terrestrial is the more popular, (although in your case not the best option). While it may be argued that for this technical reason or that that the DAB terrestrial will have better sound in your valley than ordinary FM radio (which it will) the problems are the same i.e. line of sight.

A Satellite DAB service would get around your problems. Do a search for such a product , dixons on line have good choice , let me know how it goes.
0 Replies