To be right about (doing) something

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:53 am
Are the phrases/expressions below correct?

1) To be right/wrong about something

2) To be right/wrong about doing something

If so, would you please give me a few examples of how to use them?

Also, is the following sentence correct?

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is right about not resigning as/since Tories won the last election by a razor-thin margin.

By the way, should I use the article "the" before "Tories"? Finally, is it "the LAST election" or "the LATEST election"?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 334 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:56 am
@paok1970,
I can answer one of your questions. "Latest" means that more are expected "
"Have you seen the latest edition of "Hot Rod " magazine?"
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 12:31 pm
@paok1970,
Both sentences are correct. To be right/wrong about something means to be accurate or correct (or inaccurate or incorrect) (subjectively in the judgement of the speaker, or objectively) about a fact, e.g. John was right about Donald Trump; Mary was right about the car needing fuel.

To be right or wrong about doing something means, similarly, to be correct or incorrect about the advisability or wisdom of doing something, e.g. John was right about bringing an umbrella when we went walking; Mary was wrong about leaving school - now she has no qualifications.

It should be the Tories.

If you are talking about on the most recent election alone, use 'the last'; if your focus is on the fact that the election is the most recent of a (possibly closely spaced) series, use 'the latest'.

The sentence is correct.

0 Replies