Humans are 60% the same as chickens.

Badboy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:33 am
A scientific study,which I believe will appear in today's Nature will reveal that Chickens share 60% of their genome with humans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 764 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
This study may lay an egg.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:45 am
margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic. That's why it doesn't "grow" if left out and the flys ignore it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
like the water in use all?
Smile
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:53 am
Speaking of chickens....in the event you have never heard of Mike, this is a fairly interesting story:

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.htm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:58 am
Shocked
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:38 am
I think it should be over 60%.
Humans share more than 50% DNA with bananas.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:56 am
Yeah, speaking of chickens...

It takes only 45 days before the poultry is fully developed and off the coop to the slaughter.

Aren't we indirectly consuming all this growth hormone? That can't be good, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:14 pm
Buy amish chicken. no growth hormones. grain fed birds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
Hence the phrase, "tastes like chicken."
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:31 pm
superjuly wrote:
Yeah, speaking of chickens...

It takes only 45 days before the poultry is fully developed and off the coop to the slaughter.

Aren't we indirectly consuming all this growth hormone? That can't be good, I'm sure.

For a good deal of production farms, the 45 day rule is correct, but they are using a specific bird called a Cornish Cross that is specifically a meat bird. They don't need to be fed hormones to grow in size so rapidly, it is just the nature of that particular species.

Many other farms do use a variety of other birds as well as the Cornish Cross, including but not limited to Wyandottes, Rhode Island and New Hampshire Reds, the Australorp varieties, Cochins, Brahmas, Leghorns, Aracanas, etc.. All of these birds can also be used for meat content but take much longer to raise to full adulthood. They may reach full stature by about 12 weeks but rarely full maturity until about 5 to 6 months. Some of these birds will go off to the slaughterhouse and some will be kept for their egg laying productivity to continue the supply of new chickens but also for the selling of the eggs.

Some production farms most surely do use some growth hormones, but as the demand for more natural foods prevails, it is becoming easier and easier to find hormone free or free range chickens in most markets today. Until organics become the norm, instead of the option, they will still be higher priced, but the trend, at least where I live, is slowly changing.
0 Replies