How Do You React When Few Members Respond to Your Thread?

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
I like to write threads. I keep finding things that interest me, and want to discuss them with other people on A2K. Sometimes a thread of mine catches fire Very Happy ...............and sometimes it doesn't. Sad

Often I know very well why people did not respond.................the subject was not something that interests a lot of people. Once in a while I think afterwards, that had I written the thread differently, I would have gotten more responses.

How do YOU react when you write a thread, and either no or few members respond to it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,351 • Replies: 102
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:21 pm
Phoenix... I thought about opening a similar thread. I was noticing a correlation between slow activity days on A2K and general uneasiness while at work. The less going on at A2K the more time I spend looking for something going on at A2k and the less work I get done.

I find when I have a good thread going, I don't mind going away for awhile and coming back to see what people have written. But when there is nothing going on, I actually check more often.

It is a wierd correlation that I get more work done when A2K activity is high and less done when activity is low... I think it has to do with me hating my job and when A2K isn't there to take my mind off of it I have to think about my job. But when A2K is humming with good threads I get more work done becasue I am more content.

So to answer your question... I didn't vote because it depends on the topic... some are just nonsense and I don't care about them... but if I think I have a really interesting topic and nobody pays any attention to it, I get perturbed.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:28 pm
Poorly I guess. I've had a few that have been successful but the majority get less than 15 responses and a few have been complete duds, particularly the last two. I've decided that i don't post very interesting topics and limit myself to participating in the threads of others. That may be mistake also I seem to close out quite a few. Maybe I should just read the threads. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:35 pm
Sometimes I make the mistake of reacting poorly, but most of the time I take it in stride. The people I know offline are not often truly interested in my interests, so why should a2k be that different.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:36 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
That may be mistake also I seem to close out quite a few.

Ha... I've thought the same thing... there have been a couple of times when I jump into a thread that is really cruising and as soon as I post it just stops... dead.

I just tell myself that I said all there was to say Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:38 pm
That is sooo strange. Once in awhile I think that I am the "kiss of death" on some threads.

What really gets to me, is when a lot of people have looked at the thread, but there are few responses.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
At the risk of extending my jinx to this thread, I've favored myself with that thought also.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
When your new....it feels awful when you get few responses. Like Acquiunk, I check more often when it's slow. I very rarely go on during the day as my employer frowns on frivolous internet use, so if I do go on it's always tinged with a little exitement! At home it's different.

I think for those members that are new, not just to A2K but also to the media, you have to get used to a different way of communicating. In real life I'm happy, chatty and gesticulate a lot. Here I feel as if I come across as stilted and maybe trying too hard.

I do enjoy it though, I'm happy to be a member. Very Happy

I posted a topic that I later really regreted (feeling insecure). I hate seeing it on the screen Embarrassed , I hope it drops off soon.

Has anyone else ever regreted starting a thread?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
Forgot to say....I also go on the unanswered, I always want to post, just so they get a response Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:54 pm
I scream kick and throw things. I mean really - I have the most thought provoking questions and statements.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

What really gets to me, is when a lot of people have looked at the thread, but there are few responses.

yes, that one is a bit upsetting - I voted that I didn't mind 'cos normally I don't but if a lot of people look and feel that it isn't worth responding .... Sad

I often read threads and don't answer simply because I have nothing informed to add but am interested in what other people have to say . I often read things simply because I know the poster is an interesting person and that they'll probably have said something interesting/enlightening/funny.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
Well, I leave my threads on a couple of days, and if there are no responses, I delete them, sometimes.

I created a Double Dog Dare You thread once, challenging everyone to post something in all the categories, if they can.

What sorta upsets me, Phoenix, is when a person does NOT respond to a direct question that I asked of him/her on a particular thread.

Sarah, I do the same thing, but there are some threads that I know nothing of, understand?

Just now, I looked at rosbourne's thread on Music and Math. I wanted to respond, but it got rather technical, so I just read.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
How do you delete things?............resond please or I'm slashing my wrists!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
Hell, I'm slashin' them anyway.........I killed the Sex with a midget thread Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:08 pm
Letty wrote:
What sorta upsets me, Phoenix, is when a person does NOT respond to a direct question that I asked of him/her on a particular thread.

On Abuzz you had to scroll down the entire thread to get to the most recent post, on A2K it is possible go directly to the most recent posts. As a result it is easy to lose the location of your last post, and responses to it, and simply pickup with the conversation as it is unfolding at the moment. I suspect that is why a lot of direct questions go unanswered.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:11 pm
I drink a lot....self flagellation with wet strips of leather.....I have been known to poison a few neighboorhood pets...(hope I don't get caught at that)......and wipe my bottom on squinneys' pillow......nothing radical though...I'm too well adjusted to get REALLY upset.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:14 pm
I used to take it personal...now if there's not much interest in my thread I keep dredging it up....just to punish you guys.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:20 pm
I think I understand, Acquiunk. That makes sense, I guess.

I have to run, so explain to Sarah about deleting threads, ok?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:32 pm
My favorite thread (call me frivolous) has 97 pages, but I want more...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26089&highlight=
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:34 pm
>>>Stamping feet..throwing tantrum<<<

I am the best!

I KNOW EVERYTHING

And if you dont respond to MY threads.. well.. POO ON YOU!!!!!

(running screaming)
Waaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How Do You React When Few Members Respond to Your Thread?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 01:09:57