Pale Male and Lola evicted from NYC

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:01 pm
'Bout the nastiest attack bird I can think of is the ostritch - farmer near me raises a few. They pretty well see to their own security. And any time any of 'em get loose, its quite a deal ... they don't take real well to outside direction Laughing

Geese are pretty good guard critters too. One or two of 'em alone might be just a noisy bother, but a dozen or so of 'em all united behind the notion of drivin' off somethin' or some one may be expected to have significant influence upon what or who ever happens to be the focus of their attention.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:41 pm
Lots of geese on the golf courses here in the CA flyway. Those suckers are mean.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:31 pm
I've beem one on one with a goose once and overcame him.her with laughing and running. But I can see they are serious.

Speaking as one who shared a guardduck with our neighbors. Name was Foxy.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:48 am
A swan chased me all around a park in Oslo, Norway. They may look gentle and graceful, but watch out!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:02 am
Roberta wrote:
A swan chased me all around a park in Oslo, Norway. They may look gentle and graceful, but watch out!

It must have been that new cat smell. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 12:02 pm
I've never met a swan who wasn't highly territorial. Some Parks Departments have luck with importing swans to run off flocks and flocks and flocks of geese who choose to be year-round Yankees.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 12:13 pm
I heard that NYers caused enough of a row that the tenants of this building will let the hawks re-roost!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 12:33 pm
Quite true. They're even reinstalling spikes so the the twigs will have something to cling to.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm
littlek wrote:
I heard that NYers caused enough of a row that the tenants of this building will let the hawks re-roost!

Somehow it doesn't seem justice has been done, I suggest the tenents who started this crap be evicted with no notice, Just dump their **** on the sidewalk and give a grand "have a nice day." the fargin' bastiches.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
heehee, too true Dys.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
littlek wrote:

Somehow it doesn't seem justice has been done, I suggest the tenents who started this crap be evicted with no notice, Just dump their **** on the sidewalk and give a grand "have a nice day." the fargin' bastiches.

I think you might be angry, dys! :wink:

But I agree, yes I do!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:58 pm
No, justice was not done. A nest over ten years of age gone. Will the birds build again? Will they be able to breed right away? Quien sabe.

Dys, These tenants ain't exactly tenants. They're owners. Can you evict an owner? Also quien sabe.

I'm still mighty pissed at the whole ugly and unnecessary incident.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:12 am
Roberta wrote:
No, justice was not done. A nest over ten years of age gone. Will the birds build again? Will they be able to breed right away? Quien sabe.

Dys, These tenants ain't exactly tenants. They're owners. Can you evict an owner? Also quien sabe.

I'm still mighty pissed at the whole ugly and unnecessary incident.

Not only that...they are HAVES...all in caps...and in enlarged type.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:18 am
I hear Mary Tyler-Moore's place there is still available - and she's apparently a real motivated seller- willin' to take way less than $20 Mil, from what I understand. Seems, though, that don't include off-street parkin' - you'd be on your own for that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:33 am
Parking????

The chauffer doesn't park. He circles until needed.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:07 pm
I just got around to reading this thread, as was fascinated at the lack of non-emotional analysis of the situation. I was especially amused to hear that a diurnal red-tailed hawk is instrumental in controlling the population of the nocturnal rat. Can anyone tell me how they do that?
Seriously, no one has mentioned the potential public health aspect of avian populations near human habitat. Raptors are an excellent reservoir for arboviruses, of which West Nile seems to be the latest disease du jour. There is a long list of bacterial and chlamydial diseases that cross avian and primate species lines, as well. Granted, the removal of bird nests is offensive to a lot of people, but public health should be considered as well as public image.

By the way, I noticed that no one included wolves in the list of sport-killing predators. Those damned Canadian grays that the feds brought to central Idaho are doing a hell of a good job on our elk herds, and they certainly aren't eating everything they kill. They're also starving our cougars out. Two adult toms managed to stagger into town last winter before they ran out of gas, and had to be destroyed. I guess the moral is that well-intentioned plans for wildlife aren't always good for the wildlife or the local residents.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:47 pm
City folk makin' wildlife rules is sorta like nuns teachin' adventure sex, if ya ask me.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
For those still interested in the exploits of pale male and Lola, they have rebuilt the nest on the ledge from which they were evicted and are currently behaving like a family preparing to add new members.

http://www.newyorkpost.com/news/regionalnews/22010.htm

edited to change URL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
Thanks, flyboy!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/palemale/images/photoessay/4.jpg

pale male doin' what comes natural...
0 Replies