Books as guilty pleasures.....

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:15 am
I didn't mean that to be sarcastic, the not asking you why...
just that many times our connections to a book are somewhat past whys...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:19 am
You got that right, Osso. Even though you didn't (and aren't going to) ask, I'll answer anyway. I think Hillerman's plotting is damned clever and, being somewhat familiar with the locales he describes, I find his descriptions on target and enjoyable reading. I've also learned a bit of Navajo lore from his books. But, as you say, to each his own.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:45 am
I just bought the newest Arkady Renko book - I adore that series - guilty pleasures....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 03:31 am
Oh, me too.. Martin Cruz Smith is great. even with the fish book...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 03:34 am
Well, here's an acerbic compilation -

http://www.bastulli.com/Smith/smith.htm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:09 am
Thanks for reminding me, Osso. I've got to read more Martin Cruz Smith. All I've read of his so far are Gorky Park, Polar Star and Stalliongate. All first-rate and more.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:12 pm
Red Square! Read Red Square!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 05:12 pm
OK, dlowan, I'll pick it up, thanks. Have no interest in reading Nightwing. Saw the movie and I thought the whole premise stunk to high heaven.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 05:23 pm
We interrupt this thread to ask for your recommendation of the best novel of the year. This is intended to be a gift to my oldest and dearest friend, someone who reads everything. She wants a novel that would be as good as The Lovely Bones, something better than the last Wally Lamb book she read and present a challenge to her mind while we sit on the beach in Florida a week from today.

And you say?

Joe( I'm a block from Barnes and Noble with my Amex in my hand.) Nation
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:28 pm
My recommendation for a good beach read that falls on the more literate side of beach reading would be "Shot to the Heart" by Mikal Gilmore. He is a writer for Rolling Stone and also the brother of Gary Gilmore, the notorious murderer. It has that crime novel element that makes so many beach reads fun but it isn't a crime novel.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
Oh!

Right now I'm reading "The Emperor of Ocean Park" and it has a good suspense element -- I get mad every time I have to put it down because I think I'm always about to find out what happened.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:54 pm
Joe Nation--

Two somewhat fey sagas that have been reprinted this year in Trade Paperback and are eminently suitable as love gifts for a somewhat fey woman::

Matt Ruff: Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy.

and/or

Sheri S. Tepper: The True Game

Both are excellent beach reading for natural-born romantics romantics.
0 Replies

pajamazzon

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:22 pm
i love reading books by DH Lawrence, sons and lovers and rainbow
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:51 pm
Welcome!

What do you especially llike about lawrence - and why is he a "guilty pleasure"?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:28 pm
Saturday I was gleaning in the second hand paperback store for murder mysteries for my d-i-l who is frequently too busy to get herself to the library for her own trashy, relaxing reading.

I came across several sagas for my own guilty pleasure. The sagas I'm fondest of are sent in a colorful--but not unbelievable world. (I don't do conspiracies). The characters must be vivid individuals, but I don't mind a bit of stereotyping--as long as the molds are free of malice. The time span of the novel is generally limited to a week or so.

Lots of people on a cruise ship. Lots of people on a bus tour. Lots of people in a theatrical production. Lots of opera singers.

Yummy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:57 am
I have no problem admitting I read Romance novels (preferably historicals).
I think of them as erotic fairy tales.They are aphrodisiacs for women, perhaps the way Playboy is for men. Romance novels of the last 15-20 years are very different from the "Bodice Rippers" of the 70's and 80's. Violence is just not P.C. anymore in this genre and the women aren't helpless saps - usually the opposite.
I had an aunt who taught English at an ivy league university and sometimes made fun of my occasional "low brow" reading habits. After she died I found dozens of romances carefully stacked behind her leather volumes of Tolstoy, Austin and Dickens. Too bad I thought, we could have swapped paperbacks. Basically, I'll give any book a try- guilt is just not a problem for me.
Just don't get me started on that awful cover art...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:01 pm
Lol - welcome to A2k, Green Witch.

That is actuall sad that your aunt could not enjoy a guilty pleasure happily!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:32 pm
I'm also a sucker for the entertwining stories of three or four women, friends over many years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:34 pm
Me too, Noddy..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:01 pm
Osso--

In the last few years, I've come across several of the "twining friendship" novels dealing with Blacks and Hispanics. I'm glad to see them--and fascinated by reading them.

Also, Black women are starting to write Black Romance Novels with Black Heroines. that cheers me.
0 Replies