do you ever make up your own snippets of songs?

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:42 pm
Just a few minutes ago:

I was spending time, snipping windowsill chives...

What was I singing that to, in my mind, as I snipped?
Probably a song that had the words "spending time" in the lyrics.

If that is confusing, I grow some chives and a fair amount of basil in pots on my kitchen windowsill, for much of the year. I'm also am rather miserable at carrying a tune, so I do it mentally.

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:48 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yes, but I never come up with lyrics, I only come up with melodies... which I inevitably forget.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:55 pm
@rosborne979,
My effort was quite short, as were the chive snips, and I'd have to hunt for the melody that is probably waiting for me to name it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I do it all the time.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Very Happy
Sturgis

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm sure you heard my remake of Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song -

'Yuppies roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost syphoning off their cash...'

In fairness, many of my rewrites are due to partial hearing loss. I go with what it sounds like rather than the intended lyrics.

...I wonder if this is how Weird Al Yankovic got started...
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:18 pm
@Sturgis,
I'm also with messed up hearing, lots of confirmation of that over nearing 40 years... which is trying in a grocery checkout line, what?, and something I'm used to. They are getting used to me at Albertson's.
No, I can't afford hearing aids, or I would have explored them more.. Late in the day, now.

I forgot your Yuppies roasting on the open fire, such a good rendition.

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:22 pm
@Sturgis,
I have a faint memory of not being interested in Weird Al.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:51 pm
I don't so much make up snippets as try hard to catch unclear lyrics and try to guess what words the singer is really saying. Very often the lyrics of a song I like turn out to be quite different from what I imagined them.

Finally looked up the lyrics to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John, which always seemed to me to be a nice sweet song, and found out it was Elton snearing at an ex-lover who kicked him out when he was unknown.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:53 pm
@ossobucotemp,
From what I understand, the price of at least some hearing aids are coming way down.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:59 pm
@Blickers,
My last offer was for 2500. That was at the University of New Mexico.

Snort.

I've been tested since at least the early 2000's.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 01:25 am
@ossobucotemp,
I do it all the time, most of the lyrics are quite puerile though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 01:54 am
@ossobucotemp,
Nothing wrong with Liberty at Sam's Club. Still about two grand, but they do the evaluation and programing for free. If you get a good and conscientious dispenser that's worth about five hundred. I know that's still too much, but I have one and I prefer its noise management over the GN Resound.
dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 03:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
Yes, frequently...usually I replace lyrics of songs I know well.

Eg cherry ripe becomes an ode to Sebastian's cheesy feet:

Cheesy feet, cheesy feet,
Ripe I cry.

Sometimes they go on forever, especially if I am doing housework

I also dream complex musical theatre productions with lyrics and tunes....and dense sub plots and leitmotif

It's exhausting!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:20 am
For the longest I had lyrics of my own invention running in my head daily. Some, I actually wrote down and made into complete lyrics. Now that I am into writing strictly fiction, the lyrics have dried up.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Ain't that the way to t always goes? Sad
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:51 am
@ossobucotemp,
Too many times. Usually for pop songs that I disdain with a passion. I won't drop any lyrics here... because they tend to be tad on the crass, toilety side of things. For me? The earworms that tend to get stuck in my head are some of the worst and most played (nauseating) pop songs. Changing some of the lyrics is a coping mechanism of sorts.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:57 am
@rosborne979,
You need to hum the melody into a voice recorder then you will never forget; many of my songs were started that way.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:10 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I won't drop any lyrics here... because they tend to be tad on the crass, toilety side of things.

Aren't those the best? I make up my own lyrics to Run DMC's Its Like That, when I'm on the bog, and when it gets to the line "It's like that and that's the way it is Huh," I release.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 02:06 pm
@roger,
I just reread this thread.
I'm not able to pay that unless I sell the house, as I live on little. A cousin has helped me on recent property tax rigamarole, keeping me from having to sell. (California didn't keep ballooning it, at least in my time there). I wish I had looked into that before moving.

On hearing aids, I've researched before, but maybe I missed something and should check Senior Affairs again. Meantime I've gone probably 20 years with out them, and I have my ways with real people to get them to speak louder.
This annoys all of us.

I just reread, Roger, as I took it was all stuff I couldn't do, I must have stopped at the two grand; today I caught on there are possibilities. I'll look into it.

Thank you, in the meantime.

1. Forums
  2. » do you ever make up your own snippets of songs?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:36:50